5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New Fox For Me!!!!! YAY! (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

good luck, and I'm with MJR, definetly track down some real black panels... or just return it to gray... cuz holy shiny those panels need to be go lol
Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

change interior FTW. ya its nice its black but not when it was originally tan (dash) or gray and some a$$hole painted it so it looks like *****.. good pickup for $1600 tho

just grab up and original gray interior. you can find them pretty cheap and all the parts are easy to install/remove

and damn i havent seen a shifter that huge in a long time. def grab a short throw like you said
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

On the interior - it CAN be painted and not look like *****. The problem is it looks like whoever painted it used cheap Wal Mart interior paint, and probably didn't properly prep the pieces they painted.

We painted the entire interior of the Nyghtmare, w/the exception of the kick panels and the inner rear quarters (had those rebuilt and upholstered to cover the typical cracks) and a year and a half later, with the top left down for weeks on end in scorching hot summer heat, the interior looks just like it did the day we painted it - with one exception: The door panel under the window controls - my knee rests up against it, and as a chick, I sometimes have capri type jeans with buttons there so it rubs the paint off. My solution was to just quit wearing jeans like that. Also, the center console under the e-brake handle scratched a little. Both have been touched up by spraying a little paint on a q-tip and dabbing it on. Can't tell it was retouched.

The paint we used was SEM charcoal and SEM black, a single can costs 20.00+ We prepped with paint thinner, then used a Bulldog treatment, sprayed two or three REALLY light coats of paint, and voila!

Or you could just buy a new interior in grey. LOL I wanted charcoal/graphite.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Wow, my ashtray door is all original and works after 165K miles. I must have a rare car
I'll have to get a picture!!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
On the interior - it CAN be painted and not look like *****. The problem is it looks like whoever painted it used cheap Wal Mart interior paint, and probably didn't properly prep the pieces they painted.

We painted the entire interior of the Nyghtmare, w/the exception of the kick panels and the inner rear quarters (had those rebuilt and upholstered to cover the typical cracks) and a year and a half later, with the top left down for weeks on end in scorching hot summer heat, the interior looks just like it did the day we painted it - with one exception: The door panel under the window controls - my knee rests up against it, and as a chick, I sometimes have capri type jeans with buttons there so it rubs the paint off. My solution was to just quit wearing jeans like that. Also, the center console under the e-brake handle scratched a little. Both have been touched up by spraying a little paint on a q-tip and dabbing it on. Can't tell it was retouched.

The paint we used was SEM charcoal and SEM black, a single can costs 20.00+ We prepped with paint thinner, then used a Bulldog treatment, sprayed two or three REALLY light coats of paint, and voila!

Or you could just buy a new interior in grey. LOL I wanted charcoal/graphite.

prob is , just as the OP's pic show that crap wears off no matter how well the prep, been there , seen that, done that!!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
BladeX - that should make the value of your car go up considerably. LOL

And Simpson - good luck replacing it! I didn't want to pull all or part of my console and managed to get it where it belonged the hard way. But maaaannnn did it suck to do.
its probably one of the easiest repairs Ive ever done to my car....

took me 10 mins to pull the top of the console, the center console comes apart

then half an hour to install the door and the repair kit, the spring mounting tab on my console was snapped off, after some careful drilling and by use of the said repair kit, I had my ashtray door in proper working order in no time... sadly, my door is smoke gray and my int. is titanium gray so the color is off, but I dont care, cuz I paid 5 bucks for the door..., I'll paint it later or something

just have to put the console back together... got dark and cold out
Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

I have ALL black interior in my notch and my ashtray door still works!

Maybe its becasue I bought mine from a 55 year old couple?????
Old 10-17-2009, 06:25 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

nice one simpson!

If im correct your other 'stang is a classic and has been in peices for a while?

I say you got a pretty damn good deal!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Back-in-Black
1st Gear Member

Very good find for $1600. When you replace the headlights I would look into 1 piece replacements. I just got them for my 89 vert and they look much better than the 6 piece setup IMO. I got them off Ebay for $139 shipped. Fit was very good and the install took me all of about 25 minutes.