5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Moving 5.0 to Japan

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 AM
magadorm

Default Moving 5.0 to Japan

Hello all,
I am currently stationed in Japan, and I just received follow on orders here in Japan for another three years. Well, four years without my 5.0 has been long enough. I have seen several other American spec 5.0s here and want to bring mine here. Only problem is this, it has been in storage for the last four years and it is "Florida legal". As in, there are no cats on it and I have a 3 inch exhaust with dumps on it. Now, in order to get it here I have to get it Texas legal as that is where it is right now, before I can get it shipped out. So, I have several questions to see if anyone has any good recommendations. First, I need to find some good, decent priced 3 inch cats that will allow my car to pass inspection in the Dallas, Texas area. Second, my T5 is trashed right now and I need to get that fixed(replaced), what is a good replacement that will not break the bank. I would like to get a transmission that will be able to handle some additional power I will be adding later, but I want to keep the price low, I am looking for some bang for the buck. And, I still have the stock alternator and desperately need to change it out with a higher amperage one. I plan on getting an electric fan later on so need an alternator that can handle that. Any recommendations for a good alternator kit? Also, I foolishly removed my backseat a number of years ago and in the process of several of my moves I disposed of the rear seat. How can I go about getting a replacement. Now, the real kicker is that I will only have about 2 weeks to get all or most of this done in December and would also like to use the services of a reputable mechanic in the Dallas, Denton, Bridgeport area to get all this done. Any help anyone can provide will be very helpful.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

welcome and this is the first thing you need to do:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0-...bers-read.html
Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Can you just "pay off" the smog testers... when i was in sugarland, i met a kid with a trans am with electric cutouts and no smog or anything what so ever, he told me its so easy to get them to pass... you can take it to a shop that does testing and pay it off.... What i was told anyway... i live in a state where we don't have to worry about any of that... yet atleast.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Do you still have the rest of the smog equipment on the car?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

You really shouldn't have to do much of anything to pass smog in Texas.

Back when my car was bellowing black smoke, it still passed...Matter of fact since when did Texas do emissions?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

yeah i think it would be easier to find a person that will pass it. if anything register it outside the main citie's of dallas and than you won't have to pass emissions.

YOu don't need a backseat to pass inspection anyway.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
magadorm

It has all of it's smog gear, never took it off. Just doesn't have the cats anymore. I am not really worried about the Dallas inspection, it is the Japanese one that I am worried about. I defintely will not be able to pay them off. I have to even put on original size tires as it will not pass with the non original size I have now (245s vs 225s). In fact, parts shops and mechanics here will not install a non original size tire for fears of losing their license. Plus, I am trying to get as much stuff done in the states before I get to Japan where this stuff will be very expensive to bring in. And, the back seat is just that I would like to have a backseat again, either that or does someone know of a rear seat delete for a 1990 Hatchback GT that weighs less than the original seats?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

im gonna go out on a limb here and say that 3" exhaust is more than likely WAY to big for your car.

Put some reasonable sized exhaust back on it and the mid pipes will be easier to find
Old 10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
magadorm

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
im gonna go out on a limb here and say that 3" exhaust is more than likely WAY to big for your car.

Put some reasonable sized exhaust back on it and the mid pipes will be easier to find
I would rather keep the 3 inch exhaust as I plan on putting a turbo on later, also, it would cost more to get a mid pipe with cats than just a couple 3 inch cats for now. Plus, I plan on removing the cats once I pass the Japanese inspection and then just installing them two years later for the next inspection. I have located a couple 3 inch cats at reasonable prices but was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 AM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

It would be easyer to just buy a skyline and enjoy it till its time to come home.

Quick Reply: Moving 5.0 to Japan