5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

86 GT needs a boost.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Cocolroo

Default 86 GT needs a boost.

Hey ,
Just bought 86 gt 5 speed(will post pictures soon).
Runs good but just seems a liitle sludgy.
I had it tuned up with spark plugs,wires,and rotor.
Runs better but seems to lack that tight responsive
get up and go between gears.Dont get me wrong it will burn rubber in first but
into second it looses the thrust.(Gotta have the thrust)
but then in 3rd 4th and 5th it picks up and goes
What would be some possible next fixes fuel flter maybe,or injectors.
I know about the possible bolt ons but wanna make sure ive tried everything before
I go there.
Just looking for a game plan to get it running as good as possible without
turning it into a race car
Old 10-30-2009, 09:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check timing and put a set of gears in the rear for thrust!!lol
Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Cocolroo

Is timing something I can do myself or is certain equipment needed.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 06:45 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

How many miles?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

First off go get you a Haynes or Chilton repair manual. To check your timing you will need a timing light. You can easily do it yourself, just remember to remove the spout connector before you check it and adjust and don't forget to put it back in when you are done.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Cocolroo

The miles are supposed to be 104,000 original.But I would have to look into that.
The symptom im noticing a little more is from first gear takes off great to second there is a little hesitation(no slipping)and then 2nd to 3rd a little but a into 4th and 5th takes off.
So I dont know its within the timing or rather something to do with a clutch adjustment.
If I new exactly what it was I could address it but I dont and being mechanically challenged I guess I would have to take it into a mechanic shop to pinpoint it because
you guys arent close by that I could bring a twelve pack over and diagnose this.lol
Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

if the clutch was slipping bad, the rpm would go up and the car would not accelerate
Old 11-01-2009, 12:32 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well don't waste your time with a mechanic. What you are describing as your problem is just your head messing with you I think. Think about it, how can 4th and 5th gear be accelerating you faster than 2nd or 3rd? Your car isn't really losing "thrust" in 2nd and 3rd. You are probably just feeling the difference in the torque curve. While being in 2nd and 3rd you are higher in the rpms so you are more into the highest part of the torque curve so you don't feel it when you start getting more into it like you do in 4th and 5th. Its like someone saying they lost power when upgrading things but its just the power curves are smoother so they don't feel that more kick in the butt.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:36 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...-flowzilla.htm
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Cocolroo

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Well don't waste your time with a mechanic. What you are describing as your problem is just your head messing with you I think. Think about it, how can 4th and 5th gear be accelerating you faster than 2nd or 3rd? Your car isn't really losing "thrust" in 2nd and 3rd. You are probably just feeling the difference in the torque curve. While being in 2nd and 3rd you are higher in the rpms so you are more into the highest part of the torque curve so you don't feel it when you start getting more into it like you do in 4th and 5th. Its like someone saying they lost power when upgrading things but its just the power curves are smoother so they don't feel that more kick in the butt.
I kind of get what your saying but after first when I shift into 2nd at whetever RPMs I am supposed to 2500 or 3000 shouldnt I get a little more then a small chirp.
Almost feels like the in first it winds out to high to soon and then going into second
you expect this jolt but it doesnt.

Quick Reply: 86 GT needs a boost.