5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

HP Performance Turbo vs. Kenne Bell Super Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Thorny54

Default HP Performance Turbo vs. Kenne Bell Super Charger

I have a 95 Mustang and i am debating between an HP Performance turbo or a KB supercharger, anyone with some input on either would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 02:18 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

B&G turbo kit, Boost Brothers.com turbo kit, or Ponydown.net turbo kit.

HP performance is too damn expensive
Old 11-21-2009, 06:37 PM
straight6racing

ive always been a roots blower/nitrous kind of guy. if you go with the KB you will fall in love with the instant low end torque and endless burnouts! BUT a turbo is by far superior in almost every aspect. more power, cooler temps, less parasitic loss, and easy boost change.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 PM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by straight6racing
ive always been a roots blower/nitrous kind of guy. if you go with the KB you will fall in love with the instant low end torque and endless burnouts! BUT a turbo is by far superior in almost every aspect. more power, cooler temps, less parasitic loss, and easy boost change.
not to mention kinder on launching

but u cant beat that screw screaming under the hood
Old 11-22-2009, 12:17 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

you're really looking at two extremes as far as boost goes, they're totally different. If you're looking for a fun street car then the KB fits the bill nicely but if you're looking for max HP and something that will lay down the best numbers at the track then turbo is the way to go.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Both are going to be pricey. I am not trying to sway your decision....too much. But used Vortechs can be had for $1500-$2000 easily. They are easy to install and will make good power. And although they will not make instant boost off idle, the centri blower will make soild boost @2500+ and deliver a nice linear power curve. To me it feels similalr to a turbo. As for turbo kits, B&G is the only one I would reccomend for cheap. BoostBrothers is Chinese BS(like everyhting ou there), and will require modification to make it work. Do a search. On3Performance is another alternative choice and they should have a 94-95 turbo kit out soon.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

KB would be my choice for a mild street car.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

article on the b&g turbo kit
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html
Old 11-23-2009, 06:47 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I choose the Kenne Bell because as far as S/Cs go, the twin screw design offers instant boost that holds across the entire power band, not just mid level to upper end peak boost like Vortech, Paxton, Procharger, etc. Now a turbo will gain you more power and make better numbers at the track, but they're usually very expensive and not that easy to install. The Kenne Bell is extremely easy to install (or at least for me it was) and requires less work on install than centrifugal units do.

BTW, Kenne Bell and Whipple are twin screw, not a roots blowers. Roots blowers are the M-112 and M-90, neither or which can be used on a 5.0.

But in short, the decision is up to you and what you're looking for, but the Kenne Bell is loads of fun to say the least.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

i would go with the turbo if you are trying to make a fast track car, if you want a quick street car get the kenny bell cause of were it makes power. Dont go with Hp tho! only heard BAD things about them! go check out www.turbomustangforums.com They have lots of information

Quick Reply: HP Performance Turbo vs. Kenne Bell Super Charger