5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

ignition upgrade. question about the parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default ignition upgrade. question about the parts

when you do igintion upgrades when do you see the biggest improvements?

*note* with this example lets not talk brands, just the part itself to the application underlined. also consider everything is working as it should 100% no issues with the car

everyday use

performance coil only
" box only
" dizzy only

or none of the above by themselves give you much but all 3 you see a great improvement?

what kind of changes or increase do you see/notice if any?

race application and/or with nitrous

performance coil only
" box only
" dizzy only

or none of the above by themselves give you much but all 3 you see a great improvement?

what kind of changes or increase do you see/notice if any?

^^if you have lniks to examples or know from personal experience, please post

i ask because i'm going nitrous, i figured it'd be a good idea to upgrade some of my igintion parts. i was thinkin of buying a kit with all 3 since the price is good. but i wanted to know if at all is it needed or if one part in the kit was the most drastic improvement and the others just slightly compliment it or if it takes all 3 to really get the full effect.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Might as well get the whole kit. I would think the coil and box are the biggest parts of it but of course the dizzy does its part too.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:10 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i figured the box because of the hotter/multiple spark. but i guess i dont understand how the box actually works? does the box make the coil discharge more energy per spark? and if i've read correctly...the multi spark thing only works within the first 3k rpms.

but then i was thinkin, well an aftermarket coil already discharges a more intense spark...does it not discharge at "advertised" amount...but the box amps it up even higher than the advertised amount?

what about the dizzy makes it better than the stocker?

but the point of my question is, do you notice a change? DD"ing or racing only or both with upgraded ignition over stock? or is it just efficiency change where you dont really feel the difference?

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 12-04-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:47 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

save your money on the dizzy, you'll get no gain from it. You won't notice any difference unless you're running a set up that needs some really hot spark, IE F/I. JMO.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i only question the dizzy for the fact it comes with the kit.

so higher than stock compression and nitrous really doesnt warrent for upgraded ignition parts?(just curisous)
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I missed the last paragraph. DOH!! Is the kit price better than if you just buy a box and coil. You won't see any gains while dd'ing but it will def help while racing. Detonation is def not our friend.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

the kit im looking at is 529.xx

box, coil and new wires = 296.xx
the dizzy is 259.95

so you're only saving like 20 some dollars on the dizzy vs. buying it outright. i also already have a performance E coil from mallory anyways, so it'd be like buying the same coil twice.....so i think i basically answered my own question. i should just get a box only...if anything.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

with all that said ...would this box work with stock dizzy and mallory coil?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-6853M/
Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Digital performance at analog prices! That's what you get from the HyFire VI-AL ignitions from Mallory. Mallory has taken their VI-A ignition box and added an easy-to-adjust digital rev limiter that adjusts between 4,500-12,000 rpm, and doesn't require chips. They use the newest microprocessor-controlled circuitry to deliver more power and quicker acceleration with less current draw. These highly efficient ignitions deliver multiple sparks per combustion event, so you get consistent, reliable performance throughout the rpm range. The durable, lightweight, extruded aluminum housing ensures maximum heat transfer. They are easy to install and work with points, OEM, or aftermarket electronic ignitions, or magnetic crank triggers.

Looks like it to me.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:38 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

hahah, i did the same thing as you. read everything except the last part

thanks B!!

Quick Reply: ignition upgrade. question about the parts