5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Default Intake gasket

Well, i'm in a bit of a pickle here, and desperately need some help. The car is my daily driver so I need to get it on the road asap. I am replacing gaskets on my upper and lower intakes. Upon taking off the lower intake, the two front (closest to the goose neck, one on each side), broke off. Now they are stuck in the head and I can't figure out how to get them out! I did notice the gooseneck tightens down into the front of the intake right here, would it be possible to leave those two bolts out, and tighten the gooseneck up or will it leak? The car can't be moved as I don't have the knowledge or well being to TDC etc to line distributor back up (I made reference marks now knowing the car wouldn't move anywhere til it was back together).

It's possible that I can take the head off, provided that I don't need to take off anything else on the motor. So far I have both intakes off, the fuel rail, and the valve covers. If I can remove the head fully assembled from the engine, and take in to a machine shop i'll do that and have them drill them out. If I have to remove camshaft, timing cover etc, I'm not going to bother with it and will see if I can get an in-home service done on it. It's the only vehicle I have so I need to get a solution done up soon.

Please respond ASAP!

Last edited by Ex0r; 12-09-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

2 corner bolts broke on the intake into the head?

If there is any room, put an easy out on them. If they are in the head, they will have to be took out by a machine shop.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Yes, they are the two corner bolts closest to the front of the engine. They are the ones that go into the slanted part of the cylinder heads. Will an easy-out get them out? There is room to turn the easy out, but will it guarantee get it out? I don't want to do more damage to it.

Yes, it's in the head, not the block. If I have to, I will pull the cylinder heads and take them to a machine shop to be removed, but how much more work is involved? Looks like from some guides ive seen I just need to remove the exhaust manifolds, remove head bolts, and pull the heads off?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I have done it.

The four corner bolts are always a pain to get out for that reason. Always tap them and all other bolts with a hammer before loosening them.

When you are ready to put it back together, it is a good idea to use studs on the four corners so this isn't a problem again.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

It is totally weird, because the rest of the bolts came out easily. I literally was almost able to turn them out by hand. It was only those two front ones that were tight.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...5280250e0d.gif

If you look at that picture, the two bolts I am referring to are the ones towards the right side of the picture, one on each head. In the picture they are shown as studs, but on the car they were bolts.

The two corner bolts in the back came out easily. It was the two in the front that were a problem.

How exactly do to use an easy out? I've never used one before. It looks like you screw it in threw the center of the bolt, than turn it as if you were drilling forward, and it unscrews it? Or do you attach it to a drill?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

the studs are not factory but, a good idea on the four corners

With the easy out, there is no drilling involved. All you do is put it on and use vice grips to turn it. I had to tap mine with a hammer to get it to stay while I turned it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

k, i'll go pick one up. What size did you use? If it breaks off, I have no choice than but to just get the heads off and have the machine shop get them out. Whatever it takes to get this back on the road.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Lets see....I think intake bolts are 5/16"

check out this page, the top 2 items will look like what you will need

http://www.nextag.com/bolt-extractor/compare-html
Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

great, thanks alot! I appreciate the help.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

your welcome

Quick Reply: Intake gasket