5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Should I trade my Forged 383 transam for a 50. mustang??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Cale

Default Should I trade my Forged 383 transam for a 50. mustang??

I am at a cross roads. I have been working on third generation firebirds for about 7 years now. I have an 87 GTA with $10k in it and I am thinking about trading it for an 89 5.0 hatchback LX.

Here is what the GTA has.
6.3 Forged 383 motor (carbed)
Long tubes, full exhaust, RR, Cam, Aluminum heads the works!!
Automatic 700 R4
Black interior
Full suspension (subframes, tubular LCAs etc)
Upgraded rear end, aluminum DS, poly everything
and too much to list (trying to keep it short)

I want to like mustangs, but I made a 450 hp to the wheel motor for $4500 all said and done. It seems as if it takes alot of money and time to make a mustang do that. I also have some heart ache with 4 lug rims...

I have been building chevy motors for along time and I dont know anything about fords, so I do not know if I am making a mistake.

The ford is:
89 LX hatch 5 speed. Gray interior, pony rims. 1.6 rr mac headers and flowmaster exhaust. Think it is a good trade? Or should I keep the GTA?

or

Old 01-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I prefer the mustang over those ugly camaros anyday, but with that said. I would NOT trade a car like yours (if it is built properly) for a nearly stock mustang.

If you want a stang, sell your car and buy a stang for like 3000. That way you have a lot of money to put into the stang or other things.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:13 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

A trade straight up? No way. You need to ask for some cash too. But you should realize that you won't get what you have in it back.
4 lug is an easy thing to convert to 5.
Mustangs are fun
Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 PM
blueboosted95
2nd Gear Member

yes this is true you can pick up a basically stock fox for around 2-4k in good shape and put a few more k's with it and make it dust that chevrolet! oh if you do welcome to the force
Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd say the other guy would be getting the better deal since your's would be alot faster as long as both are in the same shape cosmetic wise then my statement holds true, so your car and some cash as his is basically stock
Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Cale

Maybe your right, I have $4500 in the motor alone. $10000 in the car all together. I want a DD not a hotrod. Which is what drew me. Poly motor mounts, poly transmission mounts, you get fatigued from the vibes, the suspension is stiff, so you feel every ant you squash. Its a hot rod. And well... I think I built it too far. I should of thought about it more clearly when I built the car
I do my own labor. Built the rear end, the trans, the engine.

They guy with the mustang worries me. He thinks you put gear oil in a T5 and that there is no valve lash adjustment on his Roller rockers..
Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 PM
blueboosted95
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cale
Maybe your right, I have $4500 in the motor alone. $10000 in the car all together. I want a DD not a hotrod. Which is what drew me. Poly motor mounts, poly transmission mounts, you get fatigued from the vibes, the suspension is stiff, so you feel every ant you squash. Its a hot rod. And well... I think I built it too far. I should of thought about it more clearly when I built the car

They guy with the mustang worries me. He thinks you put gear oil in a T5 and that there is no valve lash adjustment on his Roller rockers..
lol i know where ya coming from
Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Cale

there is no lash adjustment... there is pre-load adjustment...

he is wrong about the gear oil though... but then again. most people usually are.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Non world class t5 transmissions would require 70wt gear oil, World Class t5 requires Mercon V, which is what that car has.

If you are looking for a DD then I'd keep that T/A and find like an SN95 or New Edge to drive. Unless you need the cash too.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

generally I have put DEXTRON III/ MERCON in w/c t-5's with no probs

Quick Reply: Should I trade my Forged 383 transam for a 50. mustang??