5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Cutting Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Default Cutting Springs

Hey guys,

I have a set of Eibach Pro Springs on my '83. I think they offered a great improvement in vehicle dynamics and I really like the amount of drop they provided in the front. With that said, I wish my car sat a bit lower in the rear, I don't like how much tire gap I have back there (see below photo). I want the car to appear a bit more level. I'm considering pulling the rears out and cutting some spring out. My concerns are:

• Will it hurt the performance of the spring in any noticeable amount?
  • How much would I want to cut out to drop it a half inch?

Thanks guys, all opinions are welcome.

Brian
Old 01-14-2010, 04:17 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

i wouldnt cut them. it will screw with the spring rate. buy new springs and sell those. but atleast you have the normal rake and not the reverse rake like mine.. my front is higher than the rear... it kinda bothers me. id rather what you have.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

It will only screw with spring rate if they are progressive rate springs. If they are uniform springs then you don't really have anything to worry about.

That being said I would not cut them. The springs have a flattened part usually that enables it to easily sit flat on the spring perch.

If you do cut it make sure it is NOT with a torch. That will remove the spring qualities... that's what those low ridin' messicans do to get their cars on the ground.

Get LCA's with adjustable spring perches and drop the car down. I'm using MM and they work perfectly.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Those springs are progressive. If you do just trim off like an 1/8 at a time. The first 1/8 shouldn't really affect the spring rate enough to notice. Have you tried removing the isolators and see how much lower that sits you?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

start with removing the iso's and then maybe the dead coil
Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

dont cut progressive. the car wont ride right. i've ridden in a 85 with progressives cut. its really discomforting.

i cut my drag launch front springs but they are straight rate. i noticed no difference in the ride quality, easier to install now, plus it looks like a better ride. i used a cut off wheel to do the job
Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

How many mustangs currently reside in the parts yard? Many. I'd cut the springs and if the results are unacceptable, spend a couple bucks for a set from the junk yard and you are back to square one. The main difference will be an increased spring rate. The cut springs will probably overwhelm the shocks if they are old and worn. Don't forget, the shocks control the spring and hence body movement so stiffer springs need stiffer shocks. This is a cheap experiment for you though.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:08 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

he isnt using stock springs. completely different
Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangBradley
How many mustangs currently reside in the parts yard? Many. I'd cut the springs and if the results are unacceptable, spend a couple bucks for a set from the junk yard and you are back to square one. The main difference will be an increased spring rate. The cut springs will probably overwhelm the shocks if they are old and worn. Don't forget, the shocks control the spring and hence body movement so stiffer springs need stiffer shocks. This is a cheap experiment for you though.
Sway bar and spring rate are the main controlling factors for body movement.

And btw spring rate doesn't change unless you get a different spring.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

i cut exactly one coil off my stock rear springs, you wanna cut the wide bottom piece and duplicate the flat spot so it sits level. i havent noticed any change in my ride i have new shocks and control arms and the rear is rock solid perfect id sugest start with a 1/4 of a coil and go from there drive the car around so the springs settle so u get the full drop and go from there

Quick Reply: Cutting Springs