5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Almost done with my Cobra brake conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up Almost done with my Cobra brake conversion! Which wheels???

I started a Cobra brake conversion in the winter of '08. To save a little money I decided to piece together my setup instead of spending $2,500 on the FRPP M2300-K setup. I still needed a couple of parts when I got into graduate school. I had to put the car on hold(leaving it in my parents garage up in the Bay Area) and go down to SD to figure out where I'm living and get school started. I've been a home a few times since then but only for a weekend or so and I hadn't collected all the parts yet.

Well State schools in CA get over a month off for Christmas break. I've been home over the last week finishing it up the conversion. I really wanted to finish but I'm waiting on a brake line fitting for the MC and unfortunately I have to leave to go back to school tomorrow morning.

Here is my setup............

Front brakes are early Cobra PBR calipers w/13" Brembo cross vented and drilled rotors. I got the setup from a guy on Ebay for $400 including the SN-95 rotors. I also added a set of braided brake lines from Maximum Motorsports.

In the rear I have 11.8" rear discs w/PBR calipers. I bought the discs and axle brackets from Ford Racing. The calipers I bought new from Napa. I used SN-95 axles, which are 3/4" longer than the stock axles.

The soft lines I bought used and required modification to make them work. On later foxes ('85+ I believe) the shock bolts mount from west to east while the earlier foxes mount from north to south. Because of this, the soft line brackets do not fit between the shock and the axle. I kept the the stock hard lines which required adapters to mate up with the SN-95 soft lines. I bought them from a guy on ebay that goes by "parts_plus_more." He specializes in stuff for the 5 lug conversion. The stock lines are a bit long so I heard and found that the simplest solution was to wrap them around the axle. I think it worked out well.

The modifications to the soft line bracket.

Under the hood I went with a '93 Cobra brake booster and 1" Towncar MC. As many of you know, the Cobra booster is not exactly an easy fit. I had to elongate the four holes in the firewall towards the passenger side and work the shock tower in just a bit with a hammer.

Finally got that ***** to fit.

W/MC installed.

Absolutely no room between the BB and the shock tower.

Side by side comparison of the new booster and the old booster.

'85 Towncar MC vs Stock MC

The contents removed from the stock proportioning valve to effectively "gut" it.

Fixed Proportioning Valve w/new end plug.

Wilwood Universal Adj. Proportional Valve installed.

So I'm still waiting on a brake line w/fittings that goes from the fixed prop valve to the rear port of my MC. The stock rear port fitting does not fit the rear port of the Towncar MC. I didn't trust myself to cut and flair the stock line so I bought a preflared setup from "parts_plus_more" on ebay.

I also have to buy and install the parking brake cable setup. Luckily, because I have a 4 eye, I have an adjustable parking brake and therefore it is a much easier swap.

Currently I have '03/'04 Mach 1 wheels on it that I borrowed from a friend and I may buy them from him. Either that or I'm going to go with 10th annv. Cobra's in silver. I'll be mounting them w/my BFG KDW2's. I'll post a pic of the car with the Mach's on it in a bit.

Thanks for looking,

Brian

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 08-05-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

looks nice
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

^^^ Thanks.

Here are some photo's of the car w/the Mach wheels on it. Not the best photo because I can't get it out of the garage for obvious reasons. Also don't mind the car being absolutely filthy and I'm aware that each wheel is missing a lug nut, I haven't bought the extra four I now need.

Here are a couple cars that have charcoal colored 10th Annv. Cobra's.

This 86 5.0L's old car w/10th annv's..........

EVIL8286's car from foureyedpride.com.

The wheels I really like are the 10th annv. Cobra's in Silver. I've never found a good picture of them on a fox and they are hard to come by because Ford Racing discontinued them.

A couple of 4i's with Mach 1's

NIKwoaC's car from foureyedpride.com

LTDmasta GT's car from foureyepride.com............ pretty awesome

The 245/40/17 BFG KDW2's that I'll put on what ever wheels I choose.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 01-18-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

You should be able to find a fitting that screws into the back port of the MC and allows the use of the stock brake line.

This is the stock line going into my sn-95 prop valve by means of such a fitting.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Your talking about an adapter? I could find an adapter but I like the idea of not using an adapter if I don't have to. The guy on ebay makes a preflared line with the proper fittings for an '85 Towncar to stock prop. That beats the hell out of using an adapter or getting the proper fitting and cutting and flaring the stock line w/the new fitting.

Also, how come you are using a SN-95 fixed prop valve? Did you do that to avoid using an adjustable unit further on down the line?

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 01-18-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Eh, that's the more expensive route. There's no problem with using an adapter.

Looks good. Why didn't you go with all 5 braided lines?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

I didn't go with 5 braided lines because I got the rubber rears w/my axles. I had to buy the fronts so I figured I would just go w/braided.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

looks great! this is more then likely my next big mod.

i like both wheels, but mach1's look amazing on foxes. Good write up, and about time you did something to that thing
Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Haha thanks man, this is obviously a valuable mod for any fox that sees its fair share of time on the street. I've always wanted 10th anniversary Cobra's but I almost hate to admit that I'm starting to love the Mach wheels. I still really want to find a good pic of a fox running silver 10th anniversary's.

Are planning on taking a year to finish your H/C swap just like I did with my 4 wheel disc swap?

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 01-19-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

the wheels would look better with a different center cap. I dont like the cobra emblem in there.

When I do the 5lug swap im more then likely getting weld prostars, but I would love some mach1 rims for street duty.

IDK ill probably put a rollbar in first. This car isn't a DD, and more of a race car. But we shall see.

Quick Reply: Almost done with my Cobra brake conversion!