5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Need some help with my new toy

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 AM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

Default Need some help with my new toy

Ok folks, I'm back to the mustang world once again, THANK GOD! I picked up a running driving 94 gt vert with 208k miles. paid 1000 bucks for her. Now for the build up. My plans are to go as cheap as possible but not blow it up after a year. I need something reliable, but want to be proud of her too. So, that said. Here is my initial thought, and then, please give me guidance. My last car was a "CO BUILD" with my ex bother in law who knew plenty and I just followed his words. But now I'm looking to you guys. My initial thought was to pick up a forged piston motor, which I believe is 86-92 or so. and do a rebuild. freshin bearings, rings and all. but, keep stock rotating assembly. Then follow it up with some decent after market heads (which I'm LOST about), and a cam etc. then, since I'm driving the car daily, (and I hope I don't catch too much for this) put a Nitrous system like zex or a NOS brand system on it for say 100-150 shot. I have a set of 3.73's that are going in and I'll do full exhaust. but, I don't even know what to expect from a 94 convertible in the 1/4 anyways. Or what this combo would give me. My old car dipped into the 10's and was awesome, but, I bought most all of it off the brother in law. This one I want to build and I'm not looking to go ANYWHERE close to that fast. But, I would like to see the 12's at least. Thanks guys in advance! Oh, and I'm sure the trans will need something too, like..REPLACED. I am just not sure if I want to stay manual or go back to a c4 manual valve like I had in my other car. Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

What part of kansas are you from?

Can't really go wrong with either nitrous kit you want... but i've heard lots of good things about the zex kit..
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 AM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

I'm in Wichita. I had a vortech on my last stang, it was a 87. I loved that car, but, kids...ex wife...etc. LOL. Which is why I'm thinking nitrous in this case. It'd just be a little more practical for my application I think...but, then again...do love the blower whistle at a stop light. LOL

Last edited by drumpro80; 01-18-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 AM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

any help would be appreciated guys. Although, after spending something like 4 hours on here, I think I'm going to go for the 1500 s/c option. I will probably try to find a v1 or something like that. that could still be streetable. but, I'm looking at a semi tight budget. I'm going through chemo and all that so funds are tight. total probably 5k. for everything. Of course I know saying 5 will end up meaning 6 or 7, but, let's call it 5 k for now!
thanks again for any input
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 PM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

bump....any help guys?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Is the car your current daily driver? If so, how long can it be down? The 94 motor is essentially the same thing as the 89-93. There are changes between the 93 and 94 but not big ones as far as what mods you can do. It would probably be most cost effective to use the current motor as the basis for your rebuild but if you have to have this as your daily, then you are very limited in what you can do. And at 200k, it is time for a rebuild.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 AM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

well, the main reason I was looking at building a separate motor, is because as I said, I thought about using a forged piston motor and it was my understanding that those ended in 92. I may use aftermarket pistons though since I've decided to go with something along the lines of an S1. How much can stock forged pistons take as far as if I did just do a forged rebuilt bottom end and a blower? I mean, I will do h,c,i and injectors throttle body etc, but, can the stock forged pistons take it? and if so, how much should I expect to yeild from a motor like that? Thanks for all your help guys! Oh, and also, I've heard guys talk alot of trash on the stock t5 that is in my car, (not mine but the trans in general), should I just plan on replacing it with something else?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by MustangBradley
Is the car your current daily driver? If so, how long can it be down? The 94 motor is essentially the same thing as the 89-93. There are changes between the 93 and 94 but not big ones as far as what mods you can do. It would probably be most cost effective to use the current motor as the basis for your rebuild but if you have to have this as your daily, then you are very limited in what you can do. And at 200k, it is time for a rebuild.
ever so slightly misinformed...
93-95 mustang 5.0's had Hypereutectic pistons

OP. we need to know EXACTLY what you want out of the car before we can make ANY suggestions.

for example.. I could tell you right now, how to put your car in the 12's... but you would NEVER want to drive it on the street..

or, I could tell you how to put it in the 10-11 second region, make it DD-able, and still get 25MPG...

so until you give us the exact characteristics that YOU want out of the vehicle.. this thread is worthless.

also, try to keep some of the useless info out of the thread. it helps with sorting through the bull****. (really dont care about your ex brother in-laws cousins room-mates sisters friends poodle.)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:18 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well regardless if ur going to rebuild the motor you might as well just keep the one you have and bore it .030 over and have a 306. instead of spending money on another motor. you MAY be able to rebuild the motor with just rings and bearings etc but that all depends on how the motor was maintained and driven. more than likely you will have to do some boring of the cylinder walls.

if you want to see 12s, keep it mild for the street and if you want to take the guesswork out of it go with the trickflow top end kit. yes i kno you can piece together a better kit, but its decent for the price and you know everything will match up and there wont be any "will this work with this?" On top of that do the 100 shot and you'll see mid 12s easy. you will obv have to upgrade the fuel system too.

a s/c is a good idea but will me more expensive than the no2 and it will be running all the time and murder the gas mileage.

id stay 5 speed seeing as it wont be super fast. it will also be more fun than an auto. i feel that autos take more of the actual skill out of racing anyway. if you can run consistent times with a stick you clearly have more driving skill than someone who runs an auto

Last edited by nacanitihs; 01-20-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 AM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input! I would like to see mid to low 12's. I want the car streetable, as for NOW it will be the dd. Which is one reason I was thinking of getting another block at least. build it n do the swap in a weekend. As for 5 speeds, which ones are good? And, to NACANITIHS, if I do a 306, trick flow kit, and fuel with like 3.73's, that'd put me in the 12's? everyone keeps saying since it's a vert its way to heavy and I was dumb for buying it. (screw them lol) Oh, and of the tons of 306 kits out there, what's the best pistons and such to pick up for the money? THANKS again guys!

Quick Reply: Need some help with my new toy