5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Exploratory surgery Fox upper Arm bracing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation Fox Upper Control Arm bracing! Exploratory surgery

Working on a new idea! A moderate approach to upper control arm bracing!

Got the Wild Rides' Battle Boxes for the upper and lower 5.0 mustang control arm mounting points. They are bolt in units, but like the bolt in sub frame connectors, I find that method seriously lacking. Like scotch tape on a broken arm, it does not add structure. The uppers need something more than the kit I had bought, but I am not about to weld in a full roll cage - and brace it to the cage tubing. There must be an elegant solution somewhere in the middle..............

You can see here on this link to my site that I have devised my own methodology on how I think it should be done (lowers to UMI Performance Inc. full length subframe)

The link below shows the entire job
http://www.thatmetalbox.com/Automoti...gWeldComplete/

Last edited by Hamutoff; 01-26-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Now I am finally looking at the uppers. I thought to follow the directions for once, but after looking closely at the car with my welding friend, we thought that bolting two plates to the inside and outside respectively, of the car, would not work: the reason being that the 2-3 inch air gap or void that exists between the cars metal body next to the rear seat, and the metal body that is attached to the upper arm's torque box.

Look at it this way; as you bolt the plates together, you are 'squishing' the factory metal together a bit, but remember there are a few inches of nothing but air in there. Simply driving the car and launching will bend the metal further - this will make the tightened bolts seem to be loose - the metal is 'squishing' being pulled and pushed, therefore you will either have to tighten the bolts again or the brackets will just rattle back and forth - making the looseness worse.

Last edited by Hamutoff; 01-25-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

The solution? Well you can weld the car together with a mile of chromoly or mild steel tube and tie it all together with a jungle gym, but for a non-purpose-racecar like mine that is not acceptable. I want it to look basically stock and not rip the control arms out with my 500-650 planned crank horsepower.

We are thinking of creating a template so we can maximize the effort and make a few in case somebody likes them and wants a pair
Old 01-26-2010, 02:05 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

how do you plan on doing it?
Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I have looked through your page before and noticed what all you did to your car. What piece are you working on now then? Or is this just one of the things you have already done and you just wanted to share? I would like to get whatever blue prints you have/make for more bracing as such.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Howdy projectresto83, currently working on it, last night and the night before.
last night we fabbed up one side, pictures will follow. Going to take the part to buddys machine at Boeing that can scan 3d items to CAD
Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Got to the point where there is something to show....

http://www.thatmetalbox.com/automotive/FoxUpperControl/

Matt