5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

93 Reborn Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:59 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Trim, I will keep that in mind.

Robert, it took me a couple days of thinking about it and testing a little at a time. Who knew it would have been the instrument cluster though lol. What sucks now is that I need to find a different cluster. I had a good idea that it was somewhere in the wiring and luckily there are only a couple of wires to worry about in the charging system.

Hopefully today I get a chance to bleed the brakes. I just haven't messed with it yet because the front passenger bleeder is stuck.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

shoot, i forgot to grab one of them today when I was at the shop. I did pick one of them up and saw they were a ford re-manufactured part. I will be there tomorrow as I am helping putting a roof on his shop. That is why he was throwing them away, he was just adding to the scrap pile to pay for lumber. We are actually putting the top end of a shop on, not just a roof. So everything including his Camaro has to be cleaned out. (I found a 71 winsor block and a new starter I am going to talk him out of since all the work on the shop is done for free) The first time I see it laying around, I will grab it and throw it in the truck.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-28-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:59 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Alright, let me know what you find and maybe we can work something out. Do you know how long they have been sitting around for?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Probably a while, like a few years. He has been in business there for 17 years. I doubt they are that old though. They still look brand new wrapped in the plastic with a gasket too. If you want, I could send you both of them. I certainly won't be using them.

I will get one tomorrow and see if there is a way to identify it by the sticker on it. For all I know, they may be for a pinto.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-28-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I got the brakes bleed today and they feel solid when the car is running.

Hopefully I will get the timing issue straightened out today. Here is what is up with that
Before those who don't pay attention even say it, I don't have a spout connector, its not EFI.

-I will have the 0 mark lined up on the balancer
-the casting marks are lined up on the block and dizzy
-When I go to turn the dizzy counter clockwise to put it at 10-14* it starts firing ATDC (to the left on the balancer for those who don't know).
-We all know its supposed to move to the right (BTDC) on the balancer when advancing the timing.
-To have it firing at 14* BTDC the dizzy has to be rotated clockwise (to the left of the casting marks)
- When I leave it at 0* and I shut it off at anything above idle it pops out the exhaust.
- The exhaust temps are also alot hotter than they should be in the engine bay.

So this tells me that I am a tooth off toward the exhaust side. I did attempt to move it to counter clock wise a tooth but it didn't look right so I set it back to where it was for now just so I could test the brakes a little with the engine running. I will go back out and try again later on today.

If anyone else has any ideas let me know. I did set it dot to dot when I put it all together and had the dizzy in before I put the timing cover back on but I had to pull it again afterward so yea.....
Old 05-29-2010, 11:33 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I got the pumps today. I am afraid that they are going to be impossible to identify.

They are Carter pumps. One says Hi-flow on it. Both have a sticker on them saying they are authorized re-manufactured Ford parts. Q-101 Certified.

The high flow one has the number 0-2438 casted into it.Other than that, it says made in the USA.

The standard one says Made in Canada and has the number 0-1932.

I wish I could get you a pic but, all I have is this go-phone since my other phone broke. So I have no way to take one without borrowing one from someone.

I had no idea pumps were that cheap on e-bay so it may be better to get a new one. I don't think shipping would be but ten bucks and you can have the pump but, I would hate for you to get it and it not work.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:45 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

This might help buddy, did for me as the one I read on this website is why mine was a tooth off.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,7114.0.html
Old 05-30-2010, 04:25 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Trim, thanks anyway man. I can pick up a stock one from advance for $20 so its no big deal. I can't find anything on it either.

Robert, thanks man. I will see what I can do. I am working on just pulling and moving a tooth back and forth till I can get it where I want it. This is almost the same problem I had with the 83 when I first got it running.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I finally got to take it for its first drive!! There are a few things I still need to work with but over all its a smooth ride. The trans shifted smooth through third but I didn't get over 35mph either so IDK about hi rpm shifts. I did hear the trans whine some so the possible rebuild I was told about was probably because of the bearings.

Issues:
Soft brakes (rears need to be adjusted)
temp maxed out toward the end of drive (most likely low coolant level)
Front is a bit bouncy most likely do to worn struts
Throttle needs to be adjusted, I am only using a little over half at the pedal

I might have the same vibrations I had when the motor was in the 83. I might have to replace the balancer again. It wasn't that old when I first had the vibrations. We will see when I hook up the tach and drive it around and see if they come in at the rpm that it used to. It only happend though when I was getting into it to spin the tires over so it could be just vibrations through out the whole car.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

sounds like you came out pretty good on the first test drive then.

Quick Reply: 93 Reborn Build