5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

93 Reborn Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

DON'T BE SO SURE jUSTIN...........you need to take the balancer off then rotate the motor over by hand and with a dial indicator check run out, would hate to see you go through all that work for not
Old 08-13-2010, 10:59 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

+1 dont want the crank to be out of wack and eat everything.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:50 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by mjr46
DON'T BE SO SURE jUSTIN...........you need to take the balancer off then rotate the motor over by hand and with a dial indicator check run out, would hate to see you go through all that work for not
Don't worry Mike! That has been the one thing that I want to do when I get the chance. Where would be the best place to have the dial indicator though? I have thought about putting it on the snout of the crank since it looks like the pulley and everything move around. Obviously I am trying to everything I can with the motor still in the car and together as much as possible.

Right now would be the perfect time to run across a stroker deal though lol. I'm just pretty much broke when it comes to money for the car though so I doubt that will happen.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I know the more I say its not the balancer the more I really wonder. I just don't want to spend the money on another one lol. I think later on tonight I might go ahead and pull the balancer off and check out a few things. I have somewhat suspected the balancer because of the timing issues I had but if I remember right it looked fine when I installed it all on the engine stand.....hell IDK right now.....
Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well the balancer isn't the problem. I pulled it off and its still solid and hasn't spun at all. I still need to check the snout of the crank once I figure out how I am mounting the dial indicator. I don't have a magnetic base so its tad more of a PITA lol.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Sorry it took so long 302army! This is the cluster I picked up for $15 the other day along with part of the rear seat I picked up for $20. Now I need to pull the cluster back out and remove the bulb for the air bag because I don't have them hooked up and the light stays on lol

Then I have the bottom half of the rear seat buckled down. Don't have room for it anywhere else right now lol. For those who haven't seen the rear swap it does take some work. The top half has to be swapped onto fox rear seat guts to work in a hatch. The bottom has to have some added to the front ledge and the mounts added.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Just replaced the tail shaft seal and noticed that the driveshaft yolk has a groove about 2 inches wide that runs around the shaft. It looks like its machined on there but I have never seen one before and that isn't on my 83's driveshaft. I was going to swap them but couldn't get the bolts broke loose on it from where I was laying. There is only one section that looks like it is actually riding the tail shaft bushing that is about a half inch wide where the groove smooths back up to the shafts normal diameter. Its not that deep of a groove either but still, if its not supposed to be there its not supposed to be there.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

could have been just something rubing the driveshaft at some time?

nice gauges btw, same that came with my car.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I doubt it was machined there if what I am reading is what I am seeing in my head.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by 302army187
could have been just something rubing the driveshaft at some time?

nice gauges btw, same that came with my car.

Thanks

What I was getting at with the driveshaft though is that now that I seen that I wonder if that is not a big part of the vibration. ALTHOUGH it doesn't explain it all because there is still vibration in nuetral...just not as bad. OO well one thing at a time. I am supposed to get a whole H.0 motor for $100 next month sometime that I am going to drop in and check it out.I will probably just drop my intake on it and run it as is for awhile until I get the extra cash to swap the heads back over.

Quick Reply: 93 Reborn Build