5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM
grizzlygt

Default what to look for

hi guys , i'm new here and i looking to get a 87-93 mustang.i'm a chevy guy so i don't know a whole lot about mustangs. i was wondering what are some common problems with these cars. just so i know what to look for and i don't get any suprises. thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

One common problem is a previous owner doing his own wiring modifications. With computer controlled cars, the wiring is so important and hard to diagnose when problems arise. When you find a car you are interested in, look under the dash for non-factory shenanigans. Stereo and alarm installations are notorious for causing problems down the road.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i agree, the more stock the better. some mods will save you money, but make sure it isn't a hack job

i'd rather find a super clean body w/ no engine trans than a car that has a crate motor and body cancer

some trouble spots are:

trunk/hatch... under the lip underneath it will start to rust from the exhaust coming up the back

quarter's , pretty typical of any car... corrosive stuff tucks up in the wheel wells and starts rust there

torque boxes, a car launched really hard too many times w/out the right suspension will tear them up

floor pans where the seats bolt in.... they can tear from bigger guys, you can use subframe connectors w/ t-bracing to prevent or fix this though