5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 to cobra swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:50 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

$200 for a complete motor isnt too bad. nice to have a motor in the garage being built and still able to drive the car. but what we are trying to tell you, cobra heads (gt40 heads) are not worth buying. get some performance heads, will cost more, but youll see a much larger gain in power.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

OP... if the Cobra motor was all grand and hi performance... dont you think I would have left mine alone?

FWIW, you can build a pretty bad little motor if you plan your funds correctly
Old 02-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Yes, but with those performance heads also comes more expenses. The performance intakes, special gaskets and other parts, and including quite possibly, new internals, plus the fact that the rest of the underhood parts are all original to the car (transmission, etc). You are looking at 1000-2000 dollars in money for added power. Obviously that's not what I am looking to spend or I would just buy a new motor with all that already equipped on it. Spending $200 for the motor, than selling the parts I don't need to buy the cobra parts doesn't put me out too much more money than I originally spent, so it's worth it to do it, if you see what I am getting at.

I am buying the motor for $200 whether it's a cobra or not, so spending another $100-150 on cobra parts for it is still putting me at only about $400 for a complete motor, with more power than I have already. The car is a convertible and definately won't be used for street racing or dragging, so having 150 more horsepower definately isn't something that's worth spending the extra 1k in getting.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
The cobra motor is a 5.0. Cobra motor uses gt40 heads and intake. That's about the only difference between the two.
That's not entirely true, it also has a different cam, 1.7 roller rockers, 24lb injectors, etc.

Even in mostly stock form Adder had his up to around 275whp which isn't bad for a mostly stock 5.0...
Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ex0r
Yes, but with those performance heads also comes more expenses. The performance intakes, special gaskets and other parts, and including quite possibly, new internals, plus the fact that the rest of the underhood parts are all original to the car (transmission, etc). You are looking at 1000-2000 dollars in money for added power. Obviously that's not what I am looking to spend or I would just buy a new motor with all that already equipped on it. Spending $200 for the motor, than selling the parts I don't need to buy the cobra parts doesn't put me out too much more money than I originally spent, so it's worth it to do it, if you see what I am getting at.

I am buying the motor for $200 whether it's a cobra or not, so spending another $100-150 on cobra parts for it is still putting me at only about $400 for a complete motor, with more power than I have already. The car is a convertible and definately won't be used for street racing or dragging, so having 150 more horsepower definately isn't something that's worth spending the extra 1k in getting.
gotta pay to play. but its your car, do what you want
Old 02-14-2010, 11:35 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

Originally Posted by motorman524
The cobra motor is a 5.0. Cobra motor uses gt40 heads and intake. That's about the only difference between the two.
Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
That's not entirely true, it also has a different cam, 1.7 roller rockers, 24lb injectors, etc.
I realize that. I was trying to make the point that overall they are basically the same motor.
OP was under the impression that the Cobra motor was something totally different than a stock 5.0 HO. He even asked if they used the same block and if it was a direct bolt in ect.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

if it was my car and i just wanted a little extra get up and go was looking to spend about $500 like you are, i would just put in a set of 4.10 gears. thats parts and labor, the work will be done in one afternoon while you sit on the couch watching tv by some one else. and when its all said and done, your car will take off just as fast if not faster with 4.10 gears and the motor you have now then a cobra motor with the stock gearing. especially if your motor is in good shape, why swap it out? not trying to bad mouth your cobra motor swap, just trying to give you some other ideas
Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
if it was my car and i just wanted a little extra get up and go was looking to spend about $500 like you are, i would just put in a set of 4.10 gears. thats parts and labor, the work will be done in one afternoon while you sit on the couch watching tv by some one else. and when its all said and done, your car will take off just as fast if not faster with 4.10 gears and the motor you have now then a cobra motor with the stock gearing. especially if your motor is in good shape, why swap it out? not trying to bad mouth your cobra motor swap, just trying to give you some other ideas
word.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

But who says the motor I have now is in good shape? The previous owner drove the hell out of it and never took care of it, and I already had to replace alot of parts on it, and I am now starting to smell oil burning in it. For all I know the top end could blow off of it tomorrow, hence the reason for getting the new motor and keeping it as a spare til it does go out.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:37 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

thats why i said, if the motor is in good shape. if its not, then hell ya, get that cobra motor and throw it in. id still looking into the gears tho, cheap way to really waken a car up, especially a heavy vert.

do a compression test on the stock motor and see where you stand. if it shows any signs of age and you can build a "new" motor for $500 then go for it, youd be stupid not to

Quick Reply: 5.0 to cobra swap