5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

differences between the 5.0L V8's in mustangs from 1979-1993 and the 1994-1995's???

Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Navyman85

Default differences between the 5.0L V8's in mustangs from 1979-1993 and the 1994-1995's???

what differences are there between mustang 5.0L 302 V8 engines from 1979-1993 and 5.0L 302 V8 from 1994-1995? i am buying parts for the engine in my 1995 Mustang GT, and some parts are only for the 5.0L's from 1979-1993, but if they are both 5.0L 302's the parts should fit both of them right?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

What parts are you buying?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Engine parts basically yes. Timing cover, intake, valve covers, H20 pump, headers, distributor, and other parts will not exchange. Oh well you get the idea let us know what you plan to do and someone can give you some answers.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Navyman85

well there were a couple of superchargers i was looking at, over at americanmuscle.com and i thought well, they are both 5 liter 302 engines, how big of a difference is there really? i am new to working on cars, so im not much of an expert, but i bought one of my favorite cars, a 1995 mustang GT, and started working on her, fixing her up...so far i have a bbk CAI, new plug wires, distributer, ignition coil, new spark plugs, bbk equal length shorty headers, X-pipe with no cats, and a flowmaster catback exhaust...as far as superchargers go, i was looking for the best one i could get for the cheapest price, basically...im not sure what is the difference between 8-10 psi and 15 psi, i guess thats how much air the supercharger is compressing into the engines intake manifold? more air = more power, i know that much...and when it comes to installing the supercharger, i heard there were some that you could put together and install quickly and easily, just bolt on and go, and they make them so even a novice like myself can install them...i appreciate all your help, guys
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Navyman85

oh and i was also looking for turbochargers, but summit, jegs and american muscle all have only superchargers, and im not sure which would be easier to install, easier to maintain, give more power, etc.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:17 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Oh boy, do some research on your own you will find alot of answers.

If your looking into doing a turbo kit, look into B&G.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

The main differences, induction piping, intake set-up, headers, timing covers water pump, dist have remote mounted modules, brackets on the front of the engine! as far as internal components nothing!

power reduction between the models were because of emission bs!! (egr is tapped straight off the header where foxs are from the hpipe)

The charger kits are differently prices because there different brackets and intake piping between the 2 cars!

Turbos well ouch, complete different exaust, drilling and tapping the oil pan tons of extra piping and alot more power, turbos are free power supers are eating power to make power, a rough est is for every 100hp gain with a super you burnt 60hp getting it!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

please read forum rules, this is the tech section ...for your reading pleasure:https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...bers-read.html
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
please read forum rules, this is the tech section ...for your reading pleasure:https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...bers-read.html
I`m lost on something, in this thread your saying this is or isnt the tech section???? this guy is asking a related question so i thought and farther up on this page someone is asking about a cobra intake, and you are telling him this isnt the opinion section???

I`m lost with them, there both relevant questions dealing with parts, dont paste me a link please explain your point!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Navyman85
well there were a couple of superchargers i was looking at, over at americanmuscle.com and i thought well, they are both 5 liter 302 engines, how big of a difference is there really?
Yes, they are both 5.0L engines. but the only things that are interchangeable, are the blocks and internals, and the heads. Everything is year-range specific. That being said, other year range parts CAN be used, but only if you convert the other ajoining components to match. i.e. if you want to use a fox water pump, you must have a fox timing cover and all accessories and brackets

i am new to working on cars, so im not much of an expert, but i bought one of my favorite cars, a 1995 mustang GT, and started working on her, fixing her up...
Don't worry, we all started somewhere... except me, I was born knowing all this stuff

so far i have a bbk CAI, new plug wires, distributer, ignition coil, new spark plugs, bbk equal length shorty headers, X-pipe with no cats, and a flowmaster catback exhaust...
Fantastic, put all that stuff into your sig so you dont have to type it 50bajillion times

as far as superchargers go, i was looking for the best one i could get for the cheapest price, basically...im not sure what is the difference between 8-10 psi and 15 psi, i guess thats how much air the supercharger is compressing into the engines intake manifold?
The best supercharger cannot be had for the cheapest price.. thats not how these things work. You have to pay to play, going fast costs money... and you get what you pay for!

more air = more power, i know that much...and when it comes to installing the supercharger, i heard there were some that you could put together and install quickly and easily, just bolt on and go, and they make them so even a novice like myself can install them...i appreciate all your help, guys
sure more air is part of what it takes to create more power, but dont forget about the supporting mods, more air, means you have to measure it, so a larger MAF would be in order. More air also means you need more fuel, so a bigger pump and injectors would be in there too.

oh and i was also looking for turbochargers, but summit, jegs and american muscle all have only superchargers, and im not sure which would be easier to install, easier to maintain, give more power, etc.
You are looking in the entirely WRONG places for the things you want, Have no fear, thats why we (I) are here.

www.ponydown.net
www.bgturbokits.com
www.theturboforums.com

You basically have ALOT of research to do before you go blindly buying parts. Do yourself a favor, spend some time here and get to know and understand the product that you have and will be working with. In the long run, taking some time to research and plan out your goals, will actually SAVE you money!

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
I`m lost on something, in this thread your saying this is or isnt the tech section???? this guy is asking a related question so i thought and farther up on this page someone is asking about a cobra intake, and you are telling him this isnt the opinion section???

I`m lost with them, there both relevant questions dealing with parts, dont paste me a link please explain your point!!!
parts questions are not TECH questions.

"my fuel pump doesnt kick on" would be a tech thread..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: differences between the 5.0L V8's in mustangs from 1979-1993 and the 1994-1995's???