5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

School Me On Automatics

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Explosive

Default School Me On Automatics

Well, next thing I'd like to do to the car is an auto. 2nd in the T-5 isn't doing to well anymore. Been a good while since I've browsed around at parts for the fox and such so I need a refresh.

Needs to be very reliable as it will be used. I'd like to start racing the car some.

Whats out there ? I was looking at this kind of stuff on summit, but don't really know what I need so I'm looking for someone to give me an idea as to whats needed so I can figure out what it's all gonna cost about.

I like the idea of a trans brake. But once again not familiar with them. What all is there, just goes off a switch ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PMA-PA26107/

or this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUP-26-3/

But I do recall the Capri guy having issues with his PA trans ?

Shifter like this ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-3162014/

Now what would be a good torque converter and flex plate ? Would I have to buy one of those expensive bell housings or would any bellhousing off a C4 work ?

I'm looking for any and all input on this guys. Sick of the 5 speed, my dad can hardly drive it anymore. Figure this way it will be fun in the city driving, I can race it, and my dad can drive it.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

when I was wanting to go auto I heard good things about redneck c4's.. local guy is running one in his turbo fox and likes it.. cheap too
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Explosive

Yea, I really don't know where to look other than summit and 5.0 resto ect. So they all have the same stuff, not much to choose from really.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

You want to get a quality trans PA has a life time warranty on internal parts (not normal wear and tear on the bands). I have a dynamic mighty mite x6 lot of guys that run efi ren run my trans or the PA super comp they hold up to a lot of abuse. I would contact Harold at Torque converter technology TCT for a converter Ive dealed with him many times getting my converter re stalled. He also owns Dynamic. Ive heard rednecks are nice but I have no idea on how long they hold up. If your not pushing major power should be ok.

As far as a transbrake. Its powered solenoid type thing that plugs into the right rear of the c4 case. When it is activated by a power source (aka push button) it shuts its valve which then causes first gear and reverse to lock together and hold, when the button is released reverse gear disengages and you take off. I went 11.19 on foot brake. 10.88 on the trans brake. same day with in a hr of each other. Mind you I was building 7psi off the line which really helped.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

your gonna wanna get a Reverse manual valve body as well. Nothing better then grabbing a gear in an auto
Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

I got the same shifter but with the ball on it. http://shop.holcombmotorsports.com/p...&categoryId=18
Get this it comes with a plate that sits down low where the 5 speed was and it allows you to use your stock shifter boot area with out cutting
Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Explosive

Ok, so I think I will want a trans brake. And I was wondering about the reverse vs. foward. Is that just the direction it shifts ?

Also, would I have to use PA's bellhousing with their C4 ?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

you do not have to use the pa bell housing but its a decent one. Stay away from the JW bells I know from my own troubles that the casting has a area in it that pushes the pump off like 1-2* and it causes the pump to fail. 3 pumps in 5 weeks, left me hanging all june and part of july with no trans in the car. reverse is P R N 1 2 3 forward is P R N 3 2 1 so you have to bring the shifter all the way back for 1st then push up to second up to 3rd where a reverse pattern you put in first pull for second pull for 3rd. I like the reverse because you can just slap your wrist back and its in the next gear, just seems quicker to me.