5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Time for new meat. Wanting tire opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default Time for new meat. Wanting tire opinions.

The tires I'm running are 235/40/17's - see pic in sig. They're nearly down to slicks, gonna have to bite the bullet and buy new tires in a couple of weeks.

My tire guy is suggesting Raptors in a 245/45/17 for the front, a 275/40/17 for the rear. He made that suggestion on my request for a different size and one that will make the stance more aggressive without having to lower it. This combination will also give it a staggered look.

My HUSBAND wants to me to put 245/50/17's BFGs on it and be done with it.

But its my car and my money, so I don't listen to him much when it comes to car appearance and mods, or my cars would all still be stock. ;-)

I do realize the Raptors may not be the best tires in the world, but this car is a seasonal DD, and I do my best to not get it out in rain or crappy weather, just because the top leaks like a sieve at the windshield seal, and when its real hot or cold, it stays parked. In the five years I've had it, I've put a little over 16k miles on it, so that tells you how much it gets driven.

What do you guys think? What are your suggestions?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you'll need to make sure you have enough backspacing on the rims currently to clear a 275 in the rear as they come close to the quads on mine, but that's all dependant on rim backspacing, currently my 89 vert is used as your's.....so brand name isn't as important as look is on mine, I run the sizes you want to and have sumitomo htrz's= not the best in the world but with low use they work just fine
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I'm using Sumitomos as well... they are alright but I definitely want something that doesn't spin through first and part of second gear on the street...and all I have is a shatty cam!!!

How would going from the same sidewall thickness all the way around.... to a set up with a larger front sidewall than rear...make it look more agressive... wouldn't that raise the nose up a slight bit more compared to now.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

^ I just wanted the wheel well filled a little better, but you may be right. Hadn't thought of that.

^^ Glad you said that on the width in back... now that I think about it, if I remember correct, the 235/40's barely clear the exhaust on the driver's side....
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i've heard of 255's working just fine on fox's. 275's fit if you flip the quads around(or so I'm told). I'd just go with 245's up front and 255's out back so it looks like you've got a little meat back there. since you do barely drive it tire brand wouldn't really matter. summitomo, rapters, whichever fits your budget.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I deal with a lot of tires at Discount Tire. Riken Raptors are cheap, junk tires. For a "cheap" tire the Kuhmo Ecsta is a decent tire. But for a little bit more you can get the BFG-gforce sport. It's a nice budget tire as well. And like ctgreddy said, I'd run 245's up front and 255's in the rear. However, you will not be able to have rotations on your tires because of the two different tire sizes.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I'm running 255 up front with 275 in the rear... ZR17/40....

I ditched my quad shocks but other than that I'm fine. I'm using a MAC exhaust with no interference.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

i have the tire set up you guy sudjested on my car, the 275/40 r17 has much more sidewall than a 245/45/r17 id sudgest a 245/ 50 r 17 so they are more equal go with a nice all season set of bfgs they last longer and handle better
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by jkrum10238
the 275/40 r17 has much more sidewall than a 245/45/r17
no they dont... that are the exact same size in overall diameter
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by Tony71502
I'm running 255 up front with 275 in the rear... ZR17/40....

I ditched my quad shocks but other than that I'm fine. I'm using a MAC exhaust with no interference.
Y'know. We'd never had any thing to do with any Mustang except the "Want One Itch" until we bought the Fox. It had something loose and clunking/rattling in the back, a loose shock... so one day in August, I climb back in the back, dig under the shroud where a back deck should be, and I've got a socket on one end of a shock, husband is cranking on the other end... and it wouldn't tighten. After some @(#*&$@ and !Q@)($&% and WTF IS WRONG!? from me, he pauses, and real thoughtfully but slightly confusedly says:

This has more than one shock on this side... *pause* Ahhhhh. I see... quad shocks.

We've left the stock suspension alone, it handles really well like it is IMO, and I've had it in some situations (not my fault) where folks run stop signs or lose a load of steel bar in front of me on the highway, had to swerve, and thought, OMFG - this is it. I'm gonna roll it, gonna die... and it just takes it in stride, zips right around, and keeps on going.

I'm driving it today, topless , and I'm taking it by to my tire guy up the street. We're gonna fuss and discuss, I'm gonna throw out the suggestions on sizes you guys have offered, talk about a better brand, etc.

And she turned 145K this morning. Except for some door sag issues, she's still a tight car. Still lovin' it.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Time for new meat. Wanting tire opinions.