5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Ford Racing Alphabet Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Tha Boss
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford Racing Alphabet Camshafts

Jus wondering wat is so bad about the alphabet cams. Anytime u ask about A-Z ford racing cams the first thing I hear is get rid of it. Jus wondering y? Dats all.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the lobe profiles are outdated, they are single pattern cams which do nothing to help favor the exhaust side on a sbf, which is generally where an sbf needs the help due to the smaller exhaust valves......IMO they are an average at best cam , I've used many f -cams, and e-cams and custom cams, and never have any of the combos that had letter cams could compare to the matched component set ups
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

a. They are over 20 years old and OTS cams have come along way.

b. Most people who are asking about them want to use them with stock heads. There is no use in doing a cam swap on a 5.0 if you are using stock E7's.

b. Generally you should spend the extra $100 to get a custom cam that can be optimized for your heads/intake/gear/tire/weight and driving characteristics.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Tha Boss
2nd Gear Member

Appreciate it! Jus wantd to kno! Thanks guys
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

you could all ways run a split ratio rocker arm setup. 1.6s on the intake and 1.7s on the exhaust. it would make them slightly better

i got mine for basically free so thats why i used it but still running the stock rockers...
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
you could all ways run a split ratio rocker arm setup. 1.6s on the intake and 1.7s on the exhaust. it would make them slightly better

i got mine for basically free so thats why i used it but still running the stock rockers...
then you have to buy two sets of rocker arms, money that could have gone towards a good cam in the first place.

i will say that the f cam is a good off the shelf turbo cam but thats it. ive seen a motor make 1300fwhp with the f cam.....but just think how much more he would have made with a custom cam.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

They do sell mixed ratio rocker sets! cams are so debatable it isnt worth getting wigged over, it is preferance and money, thre fine if you want one, and suck if you dont! there was a statement about the exaust vlv being smaller and a limiting factor in sbf heads, is there a production or aftermarket head with a bigger ex vlv?? it isnt a sbf issue its an all around issue! there would be no need for identical intake and ex vlvs or even a bigger ex vlv than intake, that would compromise the whole function of an internal combustion engine would it not?

That would be kinda like having a severe head cold lol! breathing through your nose and exhaling through your mouth! try it next time you have a stuffy nose!

just for referance! SCC-SCP3047BL and TFS-51400512 i think crane offers a set for stock pedestal type heads!

If you had a abc cam already it`d be worth the rockers but if not buy a dual pattern cam atleast a dual duration cam!

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 03-10-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
They do sell mixed ratio rocker sets! cams are so debatable it isnt worth getting wigged over, it is preferance and money, thre fine if you want one, and suck if you dont! there was a statement about the exaust vlv being smaller and a limiting factor in sbf heads, is there a production or aftermarket head with a bigger ex vlv?? it isnt a sbf issue its an all around issue! there would be no need for identical intake and ex vlvs or even a bigger ex vlv than intake, that would compromise the whole function of an internal combustion engine would it not?

!
better reread what I wrote vs what you wrote/ recommended, they are one in the same and arrive at the same conclusion/recommendation, the comment was meant to be in reference to use of a stock e7 head with such a cam, where so many limitations exist on the exhaust side, however configure a cam with the right valve events and see what happens......ever wonder why most of the sbf cams that perform the best favor more lift and duration on the exhaust side than the intake is??? but apparantly you understand that because you reccommend splitting the rocker ratio and or dual pattern cams......GEE NOW why on earth would you wanna do that???? is it not because of the exhaust limitation such as cross sectional area/valve size, or lobe profile that dictates why the exhaust events are better performing with dual patten set ups...........So I ask a better question for you why not use an alphabet cam in your 347??? lol, You've agreed with me and you didn't even know it...dig deeper into where my post could lead and you'll say....hrmmmm I'll be darned See we're not all that different, now lets see some times on the 347 ride of yours!!

Last edited by mjr46; 03-10-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

I never said i thought you were wrong or even that i disagreed with you, I didnt infact suggest staggered rockers that was nacanitihs not me, i was just clearifying the point of having to buy 2 sets of rockers, every engine i know of exept rotary have smaller ex vlvs lol, i just didnt understand the SBF specific problem when it is all engines.

(If you had a abc cam already it`d be worth the rockers but if not buy a dual pattern cam atleast a dual duration cam!)

I wasnt suggesting either really just saying if he had a FR cam already he could fix the above stated problem! not bashing anyone at all!

As for my car it isnt done yet i lack the intake i need and some injectors soon as i get it done i`ll post scanned slips not just typed in numbers!

If i had an other wise stock engine and didnt want to tear anything down to swap springs or anything else just a cam i`d just settle for a e cam, some people are just wanting sound, they dont care about the power gain or lose! it`s weird but true! I had a local guy ask me to put in a X-303 just for the sound lol, i told him a rediculous price so i didnt have to deal with it,(i`m sure you know where that was going) completely stock other wise and to top it off it was SD!

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 03-10-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
If i had an other wise stock engine and didnt want to tear anything down to swap springs or anything else just a cam i`d just settle for a e cam, some people are just wanting sound, they dont care about the power gain or lose! it`s weird but true! I had a local guy ask me to put in a X-303 just for the sound lol, i told him a rediculous price so i didnt have to deal with it,(i`m sure you know where that was going) completely stock other wise and to top it off it was SD!
now that wouldn't make any sense to me on an SD car...sound it'd have, **** poor it'd run with the screwed up vac sig to the map.....that's one I'd of done the same thing you did with price, cause when it didn't run right, 9 times outta 10 he'd want you to figure how to make it run right by doing everything but what it needed to make it right..lol....been there done that

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Alphabet Camshafts