5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Oil burning, please help

Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

its something thats just started happening since I replaced the intakes so I dont think its that. I drove it around quite a bit today and I cant smell it anymore, so maybe when I changed the oil it was a bit low than and adding the rest helped it. The low coolant light didnt come on either and it pumps out heat from the vents, and doesnt ever overheat either. May have just simply been not enough oil to begin with as it appears you cant smell it burning anymore.

If for some reason I check the oil in a couple days or so and it is a little low, would that definately be a leak?Saturday I am taking the upper intake back off to replace another broken vacuum hose and cleaning it really nice, so i'll be able to tell if the gasket didnt seat right, and I am going to replace the valve cover gaskets again just to be safe while I clean the valve covers.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

5 layer bean burrito emissions. Buy can of brake clean and spray where the mess is located and drive again. Look for wet spots.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Does oil flow through the lower intake manifold at all? I am wondering if one of the gaskets on that didn't seat properly, if it's not the valve cover gasket,and if that's not it, than possibly the head gasket on that side wasn't sat correctly. (The head on the passenger side needed removed cause the lower intake bolts broke off in it so I had to have it easy-outted). Before I go down that far to spending $150 on new gaskets and bolts though, i'm going to check the valve cover gaskets on both sides.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Did you by chance put those cork seals on the front and back of the intake?If so rip them off and use rtv instead.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

They were rubber but yes. Im going to put the new ones on and rtv. The original gasket had some on it so im going to make sure it does now too.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

holyshift is trying to explain something to you. Here goes..I'll try also. Do not use any type of gasket on front and rear of intake. Use RTV only. Bubba
Old 03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Why would you NOT replace a gasket with something that was on it from the factory? I'm a bit curious about that.

I found out where it was leaking from. When I put the lower on it moved the rear rubber gasket off where it was supposed to sit at so there was a little gap between the intake and head.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:22 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Thank you Bubba....trust us....do not put those seals on,just a nice thick bead of rtv,those seals blow out realllllly easy....as you may or may not have noticed.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Only thing I am concerned about with using JUST rtv is not putting enough on, or using too much and having to take it all back apart again. I assumed since it came stock with them, it would be best to put them on when you reassemble them.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Put the RTV on. How much? Little thicker than the gasket you need to throw away. I understand it came with a gasket...we that know do not use the gasket. Do what you want, use the gasket and use the gasket and use the gasket and when you are tired of replacing the gaskets use RTV. Bubba

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil burning, please help