5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

how would i remove this

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default how would i remove this

so heres my situation.. my car got banged up. i took the fenders and nose off it and the passenger strut tower and radiator support are banged up. not to mention they are rusted.

i also happen to have another banged up car (beyond repair) with a mint nose on it. i popped the hood on it recently (it's been a year..) and theres still no rust anywhere.

i wanna use that on this car...

i know its a radical idea and most people would just buy another 5.0 but this car still runs and drives. i just need some fancy metal work help from my fella 5.0 brotha's.

help me save this 5.0

ps im buying another 1 to drive for the summer but i want to keep this car alive
Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

you can just buy a new one from late model restoration... thats what i did, cause i didn't want to deal with any rust.

Its like 150 bucks i think though.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-16054A
Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i got one bro thats mint. before i just cut it up though i wanna know what im getting into.

do u got any pics or anything from when u did yours? i want to replace the whole front end basicaly with another car.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Explosive

I think Capri Debris cut and welded core supports back when he built his Capri ? I'm not positive if thats what it was or not. I'd ask him.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
I think Capri Debris cut and welded core supports back when he built his Capri ? I'm not positive if thats what it was or not. I'd ask him.
I only had to replace the top part of the core support, not much involved to do that, but I think the OP wants to replace the whole front frame clip including the shock towers. That is going to be a pretty involved process.... not impossible, but very time consuming.

The best advice I can give is to get a proper spot weld drill bit and start drilling. There will probably be some air chisel work and lots of grinding. More work than I'd want to get into, but the OP said he wants to keep the car going, so have fun.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

cut as far back on the donor car as you possibly can. like, the floor and firewall..

then once you remove that section from your car, you can see just how far back you have to cut to get a straight area... you can then re-cut the donor piece to fit in, referencing with some bolt holes and such.

just remember, its always better to cut long.... you can always take more material off
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i took some better pics...

CALYPSO CAR:

It's obvious this car was rotted to begin with, hence my previous threads searching for a roller. The body put up no fight and just crumbled to pieces. i can stick my hand through the passenger side strut tower. I could probably rip the driver side apart with my bare hands.

THE WRECKED BUT GOOD CAR:

comparing the pictures, the wrecked car appears to have been repaired or someone just seam-sealed the **** out of the frame and firewall. it does not look original however..

anyway this is what i got... it will be a long time before any effort even goes into this project. im looking for another 5.0 to drop my goodies into it for now.

if anyone has ANY advice on collision repair that would be most helpful.

Last edited by 93 LX FiveO; 03-25-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM
mendez4047
2nd Gear Member

tell you significant other to call chip foose and fake a scenario that your car was stolen so it can be overhauled. Im sure Mr. Foose can clean that up.

I've already "trained" my wife on what I want done to my stang if Mr. Foose happens to surprise me.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Look into a product call poor 15, put it on rust, and it is a rust stopper, also makes rust solid and you can paint over it.
May want to figure out if the frame is twisted.... the way that thing looks i would imagine the frame is not straight anymore
Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

find a body in better shape...wow, rusted!!!

Quick Reply: how would i remove this