MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   Might be getting a fox (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/594176-might-be-getting-a-fox.html)

kenny17 04-01-2010 12:19 AM

Might be getting a fox

first post outta the s197 section pretty much.. im completely new to anything other than s197s
Well due to financial issues i might have to get rid of my '06 in the near future, but i cant really stand not having a mustang and always had a liking for foxes. Ive been looking around at some fox bodys in my area and found a couple that i like. Just some questions are there issues with high mileage on these? The only ones ive found have 100k+ miles. Whats an average price for a decent looking fox with that kinda mileage? Another thing.. ive never owned and only drove a stick one time in my life.. but im pretty set on getting a manual for my next mustang, some people say some cars are harder to learn on than others.. so would this be a good car to learn stick on? Sorry i probably sound like a tool asking questions like these.
Also, Im going to be driving this car alot so do they hold up pretty well as daily drivers?

TrimDrip 04-01-2010 01:37 AM

100k isn't much on 5.0. my experience, the ones without forged pistons seem to last longer without using oil. Either should be fine.

The problem with a lot of the cars back then is, Ford decided they wanted a car to do 150 mph but, instead of giving them more power, they put gears in the rearend that would get it there. My 93 was fine because of the 3.27 gear stock but, some have gears in them that are a pain to drive slow because they jerk so much from being geared so high. With that said, they are not hard to drive at all. A lot easier to drive than a 4cylinder truck in my opinion.

I would drive one before I buy because, you will most likely want to modify it to be quicker.

9redfox3 04-01-2010 06:30 AM

I think a mustang with a 100K is too much milage unless your getting a real good deal on it and how the body and interior l@@ks.Try finding one that has been rebuilt already with alot less milage.I bought my stang with a new factor jaspar engine in it with only 40k on it for under $5000.Theres good deal out there for these car just keep L@@King until you find it.The shifting is no different than driving any other mustang or car, my cars drives and feels brand new,never had any issues whats so ever the check engine light has NEVER blinked in my car! There Great car Just got to find the right one, Not one that got the **** kicked out of it for the last 20 years from racing it! I hoped this helped u enjoy them for what they are a nice classic car........

Shelty 04-01-2010 10:13 AM

I wouldnt say that, many people on here have mustangs with over 100K and they are running hard.

mine had 123K on it when I bought it, now its got 144K. aside from normal maitenance, the clutch burning out was the only real problem, and it never left me stranded, even with the toasted clutch it would still pull up until 2500rpm... (drove it that way for a month due to funds/backordered parts)

luckythirteen13 04-01-2010 10:41 AM

nothing wrong with a 100k on a fox. the motor should be good for about 200k if well maintained. plan on speding $3000-$5000. 3-4K is more likely tho. fwiw, about 5 years ago i paid $4k for my car, it was bone stock and in fantastic condition with about 85k miles on the clock.

id be causious of anyone saying they have a fresh motor in it. you have to ask yourself 2 questions, is he lying? and if he's not, why did the car need a new motor? he could have beat the hell out of the stock one and likewise the car itself. you may even be better off in the long run to buy a fox with a aged motor and just rebuild yourself. fox parts are a dime a dozen so you have a lot of options with these cars.

nacanitihs 04-01-2010 10:45 AM

i bought mine with 78k about 4 years ago for $4k. now has about 108 on it. 100k is nothing. these things go forever is properly maintained.

i did my HCI at about 100k but that included all new gaskets and i used all new sensors. but i dont burn any oil unless um reving the crap out of it. all motors burn some in high rpms. if i lose any oil its generally due to my autometer oil pressure gauge leaking from where it connects (tightening the fitting fixes that lol)

IMO if you can find one with a mint body BUY it. generally if the body is well maintained then the motor was aswell. and rebuilding these motors to stock spec isnt too expensive and you could buy one for cheap anyway.

as for learning stick its really easy. you just have to get used to the stiff clutch on these cars. (no hydraulic assist here)

kweb288 04-01-2010 11:56 AM

bought mine with 96,XXX on it, lasted until 134,000 and was still running strong (i messed up on a tune and purned a few pistons :( ) but they do usually lasta lot longer!

learning stick on these cars is pretty easy! the clutch will be a lil stiffer from newer manual cars since it is a cable clutch without a slave cylinder on it (but not horrible)

You can get these cars in all different price ranges from $100-$20,000 all depends on what is done, When looking, check out the quarters by the top of the tire and such for rust! (they like to rust here) also be carefull with Gt's cause they like to rust under neath all of the trim pieces

kenny17 04-01-2010 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info its all definetly helpful, i do have an issue since i want to get a stick but cant drive one really yet a test drive would be a little difficult haha.
What do you guys think of these?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1669150832.html
this one doesnt have the mileage -
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1668054071.html

kweb288 04-01-2010 12:56 PM

if you like carberated they look good (but pics hide A LOT) wont get the gas milage out of a carb like an efi engine, just saying.
and try to get your buddies to let you drive there car (if they have a stick) and whenn you go for a test drive, take someone with you that CAN drive stick, OR ask the owner for a ride (tho if you buy it i dont know how you will get it home without knowing how to drive stick)
Love the clutch, thats all you have to remember ;) love the clutch, and dont dump her on the spot

kenny17 04-01-2010 01:06 PM

i definelty need to keep better gas mileage, are there certain years that arent carberated? sorry, like i said im 100% new to anything other than s197s
I got a couple buddies with a stick so ill see if theyll let me learn in there cars haha.