5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

underdrive pulleys Good or bad?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:55 PM
2mustangsV8

Question underdrive pulleys Good or bad?

I have heard a few opinions about underdrive pulleys, some say they are a great idea others totally against them because they over work the a/c compressor and other components and of course several say they are good depending on what kind you can buy. I've seen a few posts on here about underdrive pulleys but I'm still kinda unsure. I just wanted some peoples opinions on them and if anyone has them or has used them if you have had any problems or they are perfectly fine. thank you
Old 04-02-2010, 08:08 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

waste of money
Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

I agree with AdderMk2. The trade off is not worth it. You spin the alternator slower, leading to a discharge situation under heavy electrical load (a/c on high in the summer), and potential cooling problems with the water pump spinning slower. The only benefit you get from those pulleys is when you have sustained high engine speed. They reduce parasitic drag slightly. On a street car, they don't make much sense. Ford has determined the optimum pulley size for your accessories.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:21 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

they are all the same no matter who makes them and they are all a waste of money.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:01 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i bought a used set for 25 bucks, but i would never pay full price for a set. I myself have zero cooling issues, and my alternator still charges just fine. but i've got a radio and 2 speakers so if someone had a system i'm sure it wouldn't be good to have them. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:30 AM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Ive got them. They were on the car when i bought it. My alternator is upgraded. I also have an aluminum radiator and electric fan. So i have no cooling problems. Personally i too think there a waste of money myself. I may change them later to some stock pulleys.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Mine had March underdrives installed when I bought it. It has a slightly cooler thermostat on it with stock fan and rad and it runs smoother than a Georgia peach. No cooling issues whatsoever...
Old 04-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Gator
2nd Gear Member

No problems with mine, i have no AC. but i do have dual 12" fans from a 99up v6 cougar
The volts read lower at idle, but i havent had any problems from that.

Yall can call BS if you want, i dont care because i know what they did for me.

I bought the kit from latemodelresto, It included the pulleys, AC delete, belt, and it also deletes the smog pump.

I put these on and knocked off 3 tenths exactly at the local track. (1000ft)
I guess it was the pulleys and reduced weight
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangBradley
I agree with AdderMk2. The trade off is not worth it. You spin the alternator slower, leading to a discharge situation under heavy electrical load (a/c on high in the summer), and potential cooling problems with the water pump spinning slower. The only benefit you get from those pulleys is when you have sustained high engine speed. They reduce parasitic drag slightly. On a street car, they don't make much sense. Ford has determined the optimum pulley size for your accessories.
So the alternator spins slower. So what? You discharge for a few seconds when you are caught at a redlight. Nothing wrong with having your volt gauge drop for a few seconds.
If this happened to your neighbour's brother's friend and the battery went dead. That's was NOT the fault of the underdrive pullies.

Same with cooling. If slowing down your pullies 10% causes your car to overheat. You need a radiator and probably needed one for the last 5 years.

I'm not here to preach how much performance you gain because truthfully it's not much.
It's also nice to slow down the accessories on engines that are now spun 1 or 2 thousand rpm higher than factory.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I've used pulleys for three years with no cooling problems or charging problems at all. Like said these pretty much just expose what problems your car ALREADY had from charging/cooling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: underdrive pulleys Good or bad?