MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   what do you guys think? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/594814-what-do-you-guys-think.html)

bte1991 04-04-2010 10:02 PM

what do you guys think?

I'm looking to buy an 87 that supposedly has a rebuilt motor out of a 93 cobra which runs well but the tranny needs a clutch. I was told the transmission was rebuilt but it needs a clutch and will need to be towed since it's worn so bad. I'm new to the forum and looking for some insight, I don't know how much I can trust the guy im buying the car from since he's not the one that did the motor or had the transmission rebuilt. I'm sure the motor came out of another car or he's just pulling my chain, is there anyway I can tell if it's the cobra motor or not and how can I tell what transmission is in the car, is it most likely a T5?

I've never installed a clutch before, roughly how long does it take and is it easy enough for an amateur to pull off? Anyone recommend a certain brand? (not looking to spend a fortune).

thanks for your help.

minnow81469 04-04-2010 10:09 PM

when you drop the tranny or lift the car up the tranny should have a stamp on the side for what it actually is far as a clutch its so easy a caveman could do it spec stage 2 clutches are nice and easy on the pocket book i got one 2 yrs ago and it was like 300 bucks and took my flywheel to a truck shop and they resurfaced the flywheel for like 20 bucks the only thing u need to know is how much to torque the bolts on the clutch

02WhiteGTVert 04-04-2010 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by bte1991 (Post 6923915)
I'm looking to buy an 87 that supposedly has a rebuilt motor out of a 93 cobra which runs well but the tranny needs a clutch. I was told the transmission was rebuilt but it needs a clutch and will need to be towed since it's worn so bad. I'm new to the forum and looking for some insight, I don't know how much I can trust the guy im buying the car from since he's not the one that did the motor or had the transmission rebuilt. I'm sure the motor came out of another car or he's just pulling my chain, is there anyway I can tell if it's the cobra motor or not and how can I tell what transmission is in the car, is it most likely a T5?

I've never installed a clutch before, roughly how long does it take and is it easy enough for an amateur to pull off? Anyone recommend a certain brand? (not looking to spend a fortune).

thanks for your help.

1. it's probably a stock block with E7 heads and a GT40 upper/lower.

2. A clutch isn't that big of a job, you can have it done in a few hours if you know the basics of what you're doin

3. yes it's a T5

4. Centerforce FTW

5. How much are you planning on giving for this car?

6. "The tranny's rebuilt but it needs a clutch" most likely means "I got this tranny off craigslist"

minnow81469 04-04-2010 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 02WhiteGTVert (Post 6923964)

6. "The tranny's rebuilt but it needs a clutch" most likely means "I got this tranny off craigslist"

very good questions and i bet he didnt get it from craigslist i bet he got it from a jy sound kind of half a**ed if u ask me

02WhiteGTVert 04-04-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by minnow81469 (Post 6923980)
very good questions and i bet he didnt get it from craigslist i bet he got it from a jy sound kind of half a**ed if u ask me

i was thinking the same. why the hell would someone rebuild a trans and use the old clutch? kind of a "while i've got it apart" thing..if it's really cheap and you're looking for just something to play with then go for it...if you're looking for a dependable daily driver..RUN...

bte1991 04-04-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by 02WhiteGTVert (Post 6923964)
1. it's probably a stock block with E7 heads and a GT40 upper/lower.

2. A clutch isn't that big of a job, you can have it done in a few hours if you know the basics of what you're doin

3. yes it's a T5

4. Centerforce FTW

I'm told he bought it off a friend and has a receipt from the rebuild. (no idea how legit the receipt is but I am going to call the shop to confirm it) I always wanted one of these cars. I'm trading a quad for it that I don't care too much about. My only concern is that it will need more then a clutch. Is there anyway I can tell it's definitely just the clutch and not the whole transmission that's gone? I'm not looking to blow my bank account on this car. Is there anything I should look for that typically goes wrong with these cars?

minnow81469 04-04-2010 10:20 PM

lol i still say spec stage two that clutch ive got has been the best one ive found although never looked into centerforce......

minnow81469 04-04-2010 10:21 PM

yeah put the car in gear and try to start it let it jump if it does its the clutch

bte1991 04-05-2010 09:46 PM

thanks for the help guys, I'm going to take a look at the car this week. Is there anything in particular I should check for over all?

mjr46 04-05-2010 10:52 PM

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...bers-read.html