5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Emissions and timing help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
PsychobillyToys

Default Emissions and timing help

Hi all,
Got my car a few weeks ago, and started figuring out what all I need to make it awesome. Last weekend I picked up a used catted H-pipe and ordered one of the RAM HDX clutch kits with flywheel and rear main seal from latemodelresto. I put it all in over the weekend with the help of a buddy at work and got all excited to get it titled and registered, so I took it straight to an emissions place for testing. I failed both safety and emissions, which is not encouraging.

The car has TrickFlow heads without smog ports (2.02/1.60 valves), a lunati cam (500/512 lift), and an Edelbrock street performer intake. I haven't been able to verify this information, as I'm relatively new to the cars, and I can't find any markings other than TrickFlow written on the heads. I'm trying to learn about lift, duration and valve timing, etc, but I'm still pretty dumb on that.

To start, I evidently have tie rod issues, so I'll be replacing those as soon as I get back from a trip for work. I also need to adjust my headlights, but I think I can handle that. My big problem right now is the emissions tests. I don't know if the timing is way off, or if I'll ever be able to get it to pass with it set up as is. I've heard of people running seafoam or some of that stuff that "guarantees" you'll pass emissions with some success, but I'm a little afraid of long-term damage to the motor from it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions at this point, I really don't want to have to swap heads and reinstall my smog pump, etc, to get this thing legal.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

does your emission tester do a "visual" ?? in cali you cannot back off timing to make it pass... they will put it on 10*

but if you back it off to 0*, and use the lowest possible octane you can get, then run it really hard..... run the AC and take it in smoking hot.

it'll pass

the cooler it is the more she'll give bad fumes though