5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

first time drag racing at the strip any pointers on how im supposed to drive my stang

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
jbird1987
1st Gear Member

Default first time drag racing at the strip any pointers on how im supposed to drive my stang

i went to the strip the other day and raced at the track for the first time and my built 92 5.0 coupe run a fastest time of 16.3. im not really sure about how to run the car on the strip but i know its faster than that. should i be launching the car i have 285 street tires on the back so i know i cant launch very hard if i do. so what should i be launching at and what rpm should i be shifting at? any pointers will be helpfull
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Keeping it in your lane is very important
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM
stanglover0526
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jbird1987
i went to the strip the other day and raced at the track for the first time and my built 92 5.0 coupe run a fastest time of 16.3. im not really sure about how to run the car on the strip but i know its faster than that. should i be launching the car i have 285 street tires on the back so i know i cant launch very hard if i do. so what should i be launching at and what rpm should i be shifting at? any pointers will be helpfull
explain what you mean by "Built". So we know what all is done to the car. A 16.3 is pretty slow for even a stock 5.0
Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
jbird1987
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanglover0526
explain what you mean by "Built". So we know what all is done to the car. A 16.3 is pretty slow for even a stock 5.0
306 with forged internals gt40 heads gt40 upper and lower lunati nitrous cam(not running spray at the moment) headers full exhaust 3.73 gears underdrive pullys upper and lower control arms subfram connetors smog pump and a/c delete. thats all i can think of off the top of my head right now. stock 19lb injectors and mass air sensor... i didnt launch at the strip and i think i was shifting way to high and over reving the motor i was shifting at 6000 to 6200. o and im runnin 93 octane and my timing is set at 14 degree
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Detroit Style
1st Gear Member

306 with forged internals gt40 heads gt40 upper and lower lunati nitrous cam(not running spray at the moment) headers full exhaust 3.73 gears underdrive pullys upper and lower control arms subfram connetors smog pump and a/c delete. thats all i can think of off the top of my head right now. stock 19lb injectors and mass air sensor... i didnt launch at the strip and i think i was shifting way to high and over reving the motor i was shifting at 6000 to 6200. o and im runnin 93 octane and my timing is set at 14 degree
How loose is that motor?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 AM
jbird1987
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Detroit Style
How loose is that motor?
what u mean how loose is the motor? its a strong car this is my 3rd 5.0 and its the strongest of em all.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

first of all, please do not ***** up the tech section with such threads ...read this : https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...bers-read.html
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
jbird1987
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
first of all, please do not ***** up the tech section with such threads ...read this : https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...bers-read.html
ok im not puttin in a car stereo or trying to sale my car. so why dont u stop whorin up my thread and stop moving it im trying to get tecnical advice on the shift points of my car and should i be launching on street tires. this a forum where ppl get online and discuss things about there cars i love my car and iv waited several years to find me a foxbody coupe and now that i have found one its ether not running right or im not driving it right ether way its a good discussion. so quit moving my threats and YOU quit whoring my thread. if i wanna talk about washing my car or which tires i should run or why my spark plugs have a funny curve on the end of them i will go to the other section i promise.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Getting the popcorn out as we speak......good luck buddy.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

ok im not puttin in a car stereo or trying to sale my car. so why dont u stop whorin up my thread and stop moving it im trying to get tecnical advice on the shift points of my car and should i be launching on street tires. this a forum where ppl get online and discuss things about there cars i love my car and iv waited several years to find me a foxbody coupe and now that i have found one its ether not running right or im not driving it right ether way its a good discussion. so quit moving my threats and YOU quit whoring my thread. if i wanna talk about washing my car or which tires i should run or why my spark plugs have a funny curve on the end of them i will go to the other section i promise.
This kind of thread belongs in the general section, it is not tech related.

Quick Reply: first time drag racing at the strip any pointers on how im supposed to drive my stang