5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Replacing my clutch, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
MontanaMustangGT
1st Gear Member

Default Replacing my clutch, need help

I am replacing my clutch with a performance one because my old one wore out and I have some minor mods, but think I might do more later, so figured might as well get something a little better now. I have heard really bad things about centerforce clutches and was wondering what you guys thought would be good. I have a limited budget of about $250, but I would prefer to spend as little as possible since I am a broke college student. I have found two clutches but I don't know if they would be good or not: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCL-75115/,http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-700156/. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

I'v been using a centerforce clutch in my street/track car for years. I beat the crap out of them behnin d a 550+hp motor on a road course pretty often, and they just keep going. Real smooth on the street, too. I have abnsolutly no complaints. It just plain works. I'm afraid to try anything else.

The Centerforce hat is made by Valeo. Centerforce adds the counterweghts. It wouldn't surpise me to see the Valeo stamp on the Summit clutch, too.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM
MontanaMustangGT
1st Gear Member

Alright thanks. Centerforce is back in the picture. ha ha
Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 PM
minnow81469
3rd Gear Member

get a centerforce or a spec stage 2 clutch and call it a day dont buy a pos u get what u pay for when it comes to clutches
Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Centerforce here as well. I flog the crap out of mine and drive it every day, the last one probably went 150k+ miles.

I've found in pretty much every case of a Centerforce clutch horror story, the clutch was not broken in, and as a result it failed prematurely.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 PM
MontanaMustangGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Centerforce here as well. I flog the crap out of mine and drive it every day, the last one probably went 150k+ miles.

I've found in pretty much every case of a Centerforce clutch horror story, the clutch was not broken in, and as a result it failed prematurely.
Can you explain what you mean please? Broken in, as in what?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 AM
MontanaMustangGT
1st Gear Member

I have also heard that when replacing a clutch you need to replace some other things too like the able and such. Is that true? If so what all needs to be replaced? Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 AM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

to break in a clutch its a good idea to drive the car in the city for around 500 miles before taking to high rpms.. the stop and go traffic is what does it for the clutch
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MontanaMustangGT
I have also heard that when replacing a clutch you need to replace some other things too like the able and such. Is that true? If so what all needs to be replaced? Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it.
I always replace the throw out bearing while I'm in there. It's an inexpensive part, and easy to replace while you're in there. You'de really kick yourself if you had to do the work over again next year simply for a TO bearing.

I replace the cable when it needs it. That's an easy part to replace at any time.

For the TO bearing and the cable, I only use Ford parts. Only slightly more expensive than aftermarket, but so much better.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 AM
MontanaMustangGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Replacing my clutch, need help