5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

83 Capri RS 5.0 added to family.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Default 83 Capri RS 5.0 added to family.

Just what I needed another project, but I just couldn't pass this up. Here are some shots of the 1983 Capri RS 5.0 I just picked up. Car was originally from Nebraska and has been sitting for the past several years at a house near Phoenix. The body is in great shape, and the interior is excellent. The motor will need some cleaning and tending too. I tried to start it today. Put a couple gallons of fuel in it and some in the carb. It fired and tried to run but didn't pull any up to the carb yet. I'll try again on Wednesday when I have time. Oil Pressure came right up and it sounded good (open Hooker Headers) so think once I get the gas to flow should run ok. If it does I'll put some exhaust on it license it, and drive it as is for now till the 87 is done. Once the notch is back on the road then the Capri will get garaged and gone over top to bottom.

Couple shots with Frankenstang;

Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

i like the capris good luck
Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Nice dude. Reminds me of the old days.. Can't wait until I get done with my GT. My next project will be a 5.0 LX (87-93).. Keep us posted....
Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

how much did you pay for it
Old 05-24-2010, 11:49 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang8689
how much did you pay for it
Picked it up for $1000, the previous owner was asking $1500. Made him an offer 2 weeks ago. I was gone last week on vacation, and he was waiting for his dad to mail him out the title. Told him if someone comes along before I got back with a better offer not to feel bad about selling it, no one did.

Funny side story, took my next door neighbor for a ride in Frankenstang and he liked it so much he decided to start looking around for a Fox 5.0. He went on Craig's List and found a nice red Capri, the next morning when he got off work there it was in my backyard! LOL
Old 05-28-2010, 02:33 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Spent a little quality time with the RS the past 2 days, I managed to get it fired up by priming the carb. Deduced the fuel pump wasn't pulling anything from the tank. As a new pump is pretty inexpensive I put a new one on it and used my air compressor to back flush the main & return lines. Fired it up again, still no pull from the tank. Took the lines loose at the tank and used air again. The return line flows free but the main seams to be plugged in the tank.
So on my next day off if I have time I will drop the tank and inspect it. I also have quite a few wires that will need replace as the insulation is just crumbling off them from age.
I did how ever transfer my "flag" to the new car. Got 2 year tags and was able to transfer my custom plate from the 87 to the RS. Is sad the 2 year fee for the custom plate was more than than the 2 year registration on the car.
Here are some more pictures I took today of the plate on the RS and some of the interior. I have yet to clean the inside yet so what you see is the condition it was in when I bought it.

Here is a video of it starting up today.

YouTube - 83 Capri RS 5-27-10
Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

damn where the hell are those deals near me? solid looking car
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Got the fuel problem solved on the Capri and got the fuel tank reinstalled and car running. Now need to fix some wires, freshen up the brakes and put some mufflers on it. Made a short video of it for it's first little drive. Last portion of the video was filmed using my iPhone 3GS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlFQlgIyVp0

If anyone with a manual fuel pump Fox body ever needs this part the part number was D1FZ9A011A Filter Asy. I could only find it thru Ford. It cost me $30.53 total.

Looks like I need to freshen up my signature soon.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Nice Capri's!!! ....Owned a few myself!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
gandyj
1st Gear Member

The Capri RS changed a lot between '83 and '84. In this link http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US you can see pictures of my '84 RS. I bought it new in October '83 and have had it since day one. I don't have pictures of the interior but it's much different than this particular '83. I haven't driven it in several years and it only has 40,000 miles on it. It has a built motor, hooker headers, flowmaster mufflers, 4.10 gears (which were a mistake). I've just decided to go over it and get it ready to drive again. In '83-'84 a Capri driven by Tom Gloy won the SCCA Trans Am championship and I had to have one. So one evening in October '83 I drove past the Lincoln Mercury dealership and a car hauler was sitting in the lot with two of them they hadn't unloaded yet. One red with t-tops and mine. The very next day I was there when the dealership opened.

Quick Reply: 83 Capri RS 5.0 added to family.