5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

debating purchase what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 AM
texas67coupe

Default debating purchase what to look for

Hello everyone,

Well I'm looking to expand my garage and pick up a fox body mustang. I have found an all original 89 GT in what looks to be great shape (pictures only). I am curious as to what to look for when I go check it out and what do these go for as far as price. He is asking 3800 its oxford white with 112k mileage. Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:45 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Look for rust under the body First thing. I've heard from several ppl that one way to see if the car has had a somewhat abusive life to check the doors, if they shut easy then its most likely not endured alot of hard launches/take offs. And if It has the ashtray lid its been pretty well taken care of in the interior. lol As far as the price goes, it sounds about average for what they usually are up here in illinois. White looks good too
Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 PM
lafd5246
2nd Gear Member

If you look it over as Badlx87 said and it still looks good then I would consider it. You may want to ask for a current emissions test just to see that it passes so you can register it right away, other than that, it seems like a pretty good deal if the motor/body are in good shape with a complete interior, but I'd offer $3000 and spend the extra $800 in mods.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 AM
texas67coupe

thanks guys. yeah 3k sounds about where I would offer if everything checks out and is as clean as it looks. It is this persons daily driver so its registered and should meet all safety and emission. But, that is a good point, my 67 doesn't go through all that. As long as the lights work and I have seat belts, It's good, lol. I've always loved looking at the 89 foxbody and I think its time to put one in my garage. I'm hoping its a 25 anniversary, but I will see. He is taking some more pics for me this weekend and hopefully makes it worth my drive to go see with cash in hand. Thanks guys. Any other model specific checks would be great. This is going to be a project car, something to keep me outside with my son as my 67 is just about done.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by texas67coupe
thanks guys. yeah 3k sounds about where I would offer if everything checks out and is as clean as it looks. It is this persons daily driver so its registered and should meet all safety and emission. But, that is a good point, my 67 doesn't go through all that. As long as the lights work and I have seat belts, It's good, lol. I've always loved looking at the 89 foxbody and I think its time to put one in my garage. I'm hoping its a 25 anniversary, but I will see. He is taking some more pics for me this weekend and hopefully makes it worth my drive to go see with cash in hand. Thanks guys. Any other model specific checks would be great. This is going to be a project car, something to keep me outside with my son as my 67 is just about done.

Yeah I agree with everyone. Its the small things to look for.. Sounds like a preety sweet ride. Post pics when you get a chance..
Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 AM
lafd5246
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by texas67coupe

25th Anniv. is not different than any others, just the ones built between April 1989 and April 1990. They just have "25 years" on the dash pony. Mine is a 25th Anniv. 1990 GT, and while I would not let that determine a purchase, it is kind of cool on there. Good luck with the purchase.