5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

my build...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68CSTANG
What block? Are you a member of SBFTech?

I ran 1 3/4" headers, and 3" straights to dumped chambered mufflers for two days and hated it..sounded like a truck IMO...I put in a balance pipe and it made it sound more like a Mustang again. But then again, the car didn't drone at all without a crossover so its a "give-and-take"

Everything with your build looks good to me. Who is grinding the camshaft?

Im not much for dyno's, but I don't see why a thought out combo like this wouldn't push over 430 at the flywheel. Tons of variables, but that would be my conservative guess. Post up some pics and Good luck!!

ive been over there before. i like my exhaust. its loud but its not chambered, its a flow through dumped...so its just plain loud. no truck sound. i had it on an old 302 build and it was just fine. should sound awesome with the new motor. i was hopin for over 400 to the wheels and a mid to bottom 10 second car. we'll see though.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:06 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

any work to the crank? also why the 5.4 rod?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

just some dressings to the crank to clean her up

5.4 rod w/ full floating wrist pins.

i picked my piston first, picked my crank and the rod was a by product of the other choice i made.

the 5.4 rod is a way to eek a lil more compression out of the standard 302

this build will be a bit more tolerant towards compression with less timing becasue of increased dwell times. this way i can run lower octane fuels and still make power.

better designed piston and less side friction because of shorter skirts, revs more freely
Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

The 650 went on it because that's what I had to work with.
My car uses a 352CID, 8.2 D.H. block, Ported TFS heads, Vic Jr. intake.
Car is about 2840# with me in it (190#).
I use a c-4 with a 4500 convertor, 4.30 gears and 28X10 tires. I race at 3400' elavation in the Arizona desert and run 11.20@122 there, using NHRA correction factor that figures out to 10.95@125+ at sea level.
This fall when I get home, I'm planning on trying a 750 that I built but didn't have time to use before going to my summer home in Michigan..........
BTW, deck the block till you have a deck hieght of about.0015 or so, there's some power in doing that.
Also, I run 91 pump gas in mine........