5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Bunch of Noob questions in one thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Chevy_Guy

Default Bunch of Noob questions in one thread.

1. long tube or equle length shorties? I am a fan of stainless, coated long tubes but don't know what a 5.0 likes. What brands are better than others?

2. X pipe or H pipe?

3. Can you get a flowmaster cat back with the 40 series or just the american thunder 2 or 3 chamber muffs?

4. will a stock motor make any more power with a bigger TB using a stock intake or should that wait until head, cam and aftermarket intake is done?

5. Any reason to swap out the stock MAF for an aftermarket?

6. CAI....what are you using?

7. At what point are stock injectors not enough?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:41 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

longtubes give you more torque and deeper sound. I've heard great things about hooker longtubes. I've also heard never get flowtec. I personally don't like cold air intakes. Their over priced shiny tubes to me lol. I use just a plain looking K&N cone on mine and it works great and noticeable difference over stock paper filter and junk.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Chevy_Guy
1. long tube or equle length shorties? I am a fan of stainless, coated long tubes but don't know what a 5.0 likes. What brands are better than others?

2. X pipe or H pipe?

3. Can you get a flowmaster cat back with the 40 series or just the american thunder 2 or 3 chamber muffs?

4. will a stock motor make any more power with a bigger TB using a stock intake or should that wait until head, cam and aftermarket intake is done?

1. long tubes
2.X , I like the sound
3. dunno
4. I 'd get a TB when you know the intake you'll get and match it to intake opening
5.yes, stock maf is restrictive in size expecially when you have the mods such as an h/c/i, it needs to breath
6. BBK
Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Longtubes, always. Ceramic coated is preferred. BBK and MAC both make nice, affordable headers.

2. X pipe or H pipe?
Depends on the catback used. I like my prochamber the best so far.

Yes you can, but I dislike dronemasters

a larger TB will net you no real increases if the opening on the manifold is smaller than the TB inlet.

yes, stock is 55mm and is the second largest restriction in the intake path

home made... www.intakehoses.com

some say ~300hp... but I'd always rather have "too much" injector, than "not enough"
(which is why I run 39#ers in a car that would be ok on 30's)
Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

1 long tube ceramic 2 h is the one 3 got flowmaster somethins on mine 4 get hci and tb to match 5 figure out 4 then do 5 6 shiny BBK 7 when goes lean
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

1. shorty gives low end numbers for a trade off of high end, long tube are the exact opposite!
2.either by choice of noise level

7. when your 85% duty cycle on the injectors are breeched and added fp cant compensate! when choosing the injector size take realistic hp goal and multiply by (.3-.5 NA) then divide by the number of injectors used then add 15-25% for your saftey margine ex 400hpx .5=200/8=25lbshr x .15= 28.78 so you want 30`s for that saftey net! higher than the 85% can burn out the injector drivers in the ecu!

you can compensate for high duty cycle with added FP that will make the pulsewidth reduce by adding more fuel flow over the specified time!
you really need data logging and software for tuning to deal with that issue! but get your realsitic hp goals and use the above equasion to figure out your need!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Chevy_Guy

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
1. shorty gives low end numbers for a trade off of high end, long tube are the exact opposite!
2.either by choice of noise level

7. when your 85% duty cycle on the injectors are breeched and added fp cant compensate! when choosing the injector size take realistic hp goal and multiply by (.3-.5 NA) then divide by the number of injectors used then add 15-25% for your saftey margine ex 400hpx .5=200/8=25lbshr x .15= 28.78 so you want 30`s for that saftey net! higher than the 85% can burn out the injector drivers in the ecu!

you can compensate for high duty cycle with added FP that will make the pulsewidth reduce by adding more fuel flow over the specified time!
you really need data logging and software for tuning to deal with that issue! but get your realsitic hp goals and use the above equasion to figure out your need!
Great info on figuring out injector size. Thanks