5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

LONG OR SHORT TUBE HEADERS

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 PM
94 sally gt

Default LONG OR SHORT TUBE HEADERS

Hey i found some shorty headers for 50 bucks on craigslist. Havnt baought them yet cus i wanted to know if you have long tube headers are they louder and performance wise which one is better so power and sound is what i want to know. THE LOUDER THE BETTER
Old 07-02-2010, 06:25 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i believe shorty headers are actually louder, but not by much at all. as far as power goes longtubes make more power.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

not tech = wrong section!!
Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

i would say it depends more on what you want. yes lt's "give you more power" because they scavenge exhaust from the combustion chamber, Shorties are a litttle louder, but easier to get to the transmission.
If you have a manual trans, you pretty much have to take the headers off to get to the clutch. (some companies do make headers that allow you to access the clutch without removal)
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Klickmania

I have never really been a fan of shorty headers. I think longtubes aren't necessarily louder, but they sound better IMO. Also, keep in mind, the longer the tube the more it will improve your low end torque. The shorter the tube, the better it will help with high end horsepower.

I say go with longtubes.

- Spencer
Old 07-02-2010, 10:04 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

it also really depends on your engine combination wether or not you see a huge difference in performance from one to the other. But for higher performance engines, you will beneift more from having a long tube
Old 07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klickmania
I have never really been a fan of shorty headers. I think longtubes aren't necessarily louder, but they sound better IMO. Also, keep in mind, the longer the tube the more it will improve your low end torque. The shorter the tube, the better it will help with high end horsepower.

I say go with longtubes.

- Spencer
i hate seeing this BS gettin flung around the internet.

proof of said accusations?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
94 sally gt

the ones im looking at are only 55 bucks so shoud i just buy them cus it isnt that much for headers and i got a little cash to burn
Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

depends on your goals. are you wanting some real power? LT's

not a lot of money to spend and you dont wanna be fast, shorties
Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
83fox50
1st Gear Member

what proof do you have to back this up? besides the he said she said BS that every website throws around.

from my experience, shorties will yield better drivability and better low end torque, but long tubes will give you better top end power and breathing ability. i honestly thought the shorties felt better on the street, I didnt have to give it as much gas to get going as with the long tubes. this was with a 5 speed. i am actually thinking about going back to the shorties, because they made more low end torque on my combo.

how do i know?
i personally compared them, by myself, on my own car, on a dyno.

so you see, you cant really believe the BS people say on here. you have to take the whole package into consideration.
engine size, max rpm, power adders, gear ratio, auto/manual, carb/fuel inj., etc

Quick Reply: LONG OR SHORT TUBE HEADERS