5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

2ed oil change and found large peice of metal

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Default 2ed oil change and found large peice of metal

I have a new 347 and in following the directions I changed the oil. I was very suprised and now VERY worried at what I found. I took out the distributer and all teeth are in tact where else could it be from??? Its 1" in length curved with a flat bottom

Help please

george
Attached Thumbnails 2ed oil change and found large peice of metal-imag0245.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

looks like the bottom of a piston or something but i cant really tell cus the pics are so small
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

get some bigger pics up. cant tell.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

We think it might be part of the torington bearing(sp) plate assembly so I will find out suday when I take off the timing cover and all. So Im hoping thats what it is and there is only that one peice missing.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

yep just got the timing cover off and it WAS the torington bearing and the good thing only the one peice of metal was sheared off. One of the screws was not 100% flush against the plate. So got the new bearing and drilled out the hole just a little bit more. So she should be up and running by the weekend so I can finally get it back on the road and see what the engine can do.!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

there also is an end play spec, for proper preload on it, I've done a few
Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Ok if you have a sec could you explain the end play spec to me? just so this time I dont have to break all the seals and spend another 2 days fixing it. I belive that the cam should be able to move .5000 of an inch correct?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

stop using fram filters lol jk, hope everything works out buddy, im selling my motor now trying to pick up my buddys friend motor that goes 8.50s
Old 07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

hahaha no fram filters so your car is going to be down for awhile? If I have learend one thing from my first build is that s**t goes wrong and takes a lot longer than planned. WOW 8.5 I think we should are going to Milan sometime soon.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Detroit_Muscle
Ok if you have a sec could you explain the end play spec to me? just so this time I dont have to break all the seals and spend another 2 days fixing it. I belive that the cam should be able to move .5000 of an inch correct?

Thanks
once the timing chain is all bolted up it better not move that much, anyway, the last timing chain set I installed on a 5.0 with the torrington set up once it is all bolted up and torqued down, iirc you take a feeler gauge and slide it between the bearing and the cam retaining plate and there should be .004-.006 clearance, one I did was so tight you couldn't slide anything between it and iirc I had to machine the plate a tad, well I flat sanded it...lol, anyway don't quote me on the spec but the instruction sheet that came with the set I did had all the specs so I set it up accordingly otherwise risk premature failure of the bearing there.

Quick Reply: 2ed oil change and found large peice of metal