5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking at this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Default Looking at this.

Hello everyone, it's been awhile since i've been on here. I'm going to check out a mustang for my friend. He currently has a 2003 Mach 1 mustang but is really interested in a foxbody now. He found this one here, it looks like it's in decent shape from what i can see. Well anywho i told him if he is serious i would go check it out for him. Basically i want to double check to make sure i don't miss anything i might forget to if i go and inspect this car.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/1845572466.html

I'm going to crawl up underneath it check for rust. Check the torque boxes, check quarters, hatch and bay for rust, and anything that might be out of place. He already looked at it earlier today and has his heart set on it. I just want to make sure he doesn't get into anything over his head.

The guy claims it has a "racing transmission in it." with a rebuilt motor so i'm also going to ask for some kind of proof that it has actually been rebuilt since it has 160k miles on it. I'll also test drive it to make sure nothing is wrong there...

Basically i need some advise on whatelse to look for that i have not thought about? Any tips would be great.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:06 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

racing transmission sounds like its got a t5 with a clutch that he beat to crap
Old 07-31-2010, 06:06 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

nice contact number too lol
Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

nothing worse than a car that looks fast but isn't..lol another stock mustang with exhaust..lol enjoy
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
nothing worse than a car that looks fast but isn't..lol another stock mustang with exhaust..lol enjoy
It's like a clone of my car... before i uh. yeah.

I talked to the dude personally over the phone and he doesn't know anything about it either. I highly doubt its been rebuilt, and he wouldn't give me the vin. So tomorrow i'm going to go check it out. I'm taking the vin reguardless and running a car fax on it.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

good luck man, dont let your friend get hosed...
Old 08-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Well he sold the mach 1 today after looking at it.

Everything seems to be in great shape, the torque boxes are solid, only 1 spec of surface rust that i could see on the floorpan from underneath it, the interior is all black. Vin checked out, all in all its a pretty clean 93. Biggest problems i saw was the window weather strip on the exterior was rotted a little, and the paint needs some work.

Best of all, the car is cammed. The person that owns it doesn't know anything about it. I asked when it was rebuilt they couldn't provide proof, so i fired it up... sounds pretty healthy. Took it out for a ~30 min test drive. Drove good, from what i remember my car seemed faster, but i couldn't get used to the way the damn clutch was adjusted so i never really "gave it all it had." When i put it in first i started letting up on the clutch, got to about the half way point and we weren't moving, let up a little more... nothing. So i checked to make sure i had it in gear... tried again, same result... I felt like a kid that has never driven a manual before. Then he said its a weird clutch and it will grab eventually lol... yeah it grabs like right before its completely no pedal left.. well barely any. So i'll be adjusting that before i drive it back.

Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited by Hollister Hoodlum; 08-02-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

I hate clutches like that I had mine adjusted so that Thing was picking up soon as i started to come off the floor
Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

This posting has been deleted by its author.

i would adjsut it b4 nyou go anywhere. if it's engaging that high off the floor im pretty sure it isnt fully engaging. you could smoke it on the way home if you romp on it enuff.

i toasted a motorsport HD 2 days after putting it cuz the stocker plastic quad kept "unadjusting" and i went to the track anyways.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Yeah well turns out we didn't pick it up today. Carmax didn't disclose some info on their check policy so were working out the cash part of it lol.

Anywho, the clutch will be adjusted before i make the 45 mile journey home. I will just take off my clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster just incase.

I'm used to my clutch grabbing as quickly after letting up on it.