5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New Exhaust and Now My car is Slow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
jmonda
2nd Gear Member

Default New Exhaust and Now My car is Slow?

I was excited to pick up my car today and my excitement turned to frustration as my car runs like crap now.

I have a 90 lx automatic 5.0 The car ran fairly strong I felt for a complete stock. Today I took it in to the exhaust shop and had this installed.
bbk shorty headers
bbk offroad h pipe
flowmaster american thunder catback

Now my car has not torque at all I it is 99 degrees out and it will not even spin a tire in drive. In addition to this I took it out on the highway and it took forever just to get up to 80 mph it is running slower than my 99 grand am. It just feels so bogged down. The tach is bouncing all the time especially at idle. Does anyone have any idea what the heck this could be? Any help is appreciated.

Good news is it sounds good.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
jmonda
2nd Gear Member

Nevermind I went out to check things out and noticed hey I only had 5 spark plugs hooked up. So I drove it for about 15 miles on 5 plugs hooked the other three up and wow now we are talking.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

lol glad you got it fixed. It didn't make sense. I'd complain to the shop that installed it for you.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:23 PM
jmonda
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by badlx87
I'd complain to the shop that installed it for you.
I called the shop and the guy apologized and offered to come hook up the wires I was afraid because I did not take them off and did not want to screw up firing order but I noticed the wires were progressively shorter so I hooked them up that way. Started er up and she purrs like a lion.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by jmonda
I called the shop and the guy apologized and offered to come hook up the wires I was afraid because I did not take them off and did not want to screw up firing order but I noticed the wires were progressively shorter so I hooked them up that way. Started er up and she purrs like a lion.
you should still check the firing order anyway.

its 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
jmonda
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
you should still check the firing order anyway.

its 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
That is funny because I literally just came in from checking the firing order and everything is correct.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Firing order is counterclockwise...I had to
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Superbender
1st Gear Member

When I first read this I thought for sure they broke a plug when they did the header install,glad it worked out for you
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmonda
I was excited to pick up my car today and my excitement turned to frustration as my car runs like crap now.

I have a 90 lx automatic 5.0 The car ran fairly strong I felt for a complete stock. Today I took it in to the exhaust shop and had this installed.
bbk shorty headers
bbk offroad h pipe
flowmaster american thunder catback

Now my car has not torque at all I it is 99 degrees out and it will not even spin a tire in drive. In addition to this I took it out on the highway and it took forever just to get up to 80 mph it is running slower than my 99 grand am. It just feels so bogged down. The tach is bouncing all the time especially at idle. Does anyone have any idea what the heck this could be? Any help is appreciated.

Good news is it sounds good.
That's pretty much the same exhaust setup I have. I bet it sounds mean on that 5.0.. congrats
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no offense...but what kinda shop does such work and after the install didn't notice how **** poor the car was running/ idling??? X that clueless place off your list

Quick Reply: New Exhaust and Now My car is Slow?