5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

468ci '85 Mustang GT build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Default 468ci '85 Mustang GT build thread

Didnt know where to post this, so I'm dropping it here. Basically I've had this car for the last three years or so, and am finally getting around to doing something with it. Pics and minor details will follow, but the jist of the build....1985 GT with a junk motor gets minor restoration and and a big block Ford V8 =)

How the car looked when the project started:

The body is in good shape, and luckily I havent really found and body filler YET, I have an inkling its hiding under that paint. Car was white originally, but got painted red then green.

Most of the engine bay got cleaned out since I'm switching it over to carburetion. Air intake tubes, most wires etc, power brakes and power steering rack are also gonna go. You can see the worst of the rust damage on the firewall near the steering shaft, and on the driver side apron/strut tower. Luckily the rust was only surface rust and the car didnt have cancer from the corrosion. Looked a lot worse than it turned out being.

I stripped the majority of the red and green paint off, as well as ground and neutralized the rust. All bare metal was primed over before applying the gloss black single stage.

And the finished product! I didnt paint the crossmember since I have a tubular unit coming for it, and the trans tunnel will get undersealed when the car is up on jackstands getting the crossmember installed. Looks a lot better =)

The motor is a D6VE(1976) block and C6 out of a '76 Ranchero GT. Cool thing happened, when I picked it up, I was only after the block and the C6 trans. This particular engine wasnt reading over 60psi on the left bank for compression, and I thought the rings where bad, so the plan was to just rebuild it...

When I finally tore into the engine, I found a nice surprise. The bad compression was from the previous owner trying to plug a smog chamber in the D6 head. The plug was leaking and this caused the low compression readings on the left bank. I filled the cylinder bores with paint thinner to see if any leaked past the rings, and thankfully not a drop did. After soaking it up and peeking at the bores, I realized the block had been bored/honed recently. I wiped off the top of one of the pistons, and sure enough, it was marked .040! I lucked out big time and ran across a recently rebuilt 468ci shortblock. Its a cell phone pic so its hard to see, but the piston has the .040 markings. Lucky me.

Will update soon, enjoy!

UPDATE 9/8/10

Sorry for the delays guys, been busy

So basically I've just been collecting parts for the car. I found an 8.8" housing and differential out of an 88 GT, no axles. This will be replacing my 7.5" unit that came with the car. The QA1 K-member is gonna be here friday hopefully, gonna have a detailed install thread to post, should be good =)

I also found my cylinder heads! They came off a 1968 Thunderbird 429 Thunderjet V8.

The intake ports are pretty massive, and compared to a late model 460 head, the exhaust ports are huge too. I'm gonna hand port the exhaust ports, most likely gonna leave the intake side alone.

I've also been playing with my shortblock. I pulled the D6VE heads and intake off, pulled off the C6 trans and resurfaced the deck and cleaned the piston faces. Next step will be to finish degreasing the block, scuffing the block and painting it a dark ford blue.

I also lucked out on Craigslist. I found a set of stamped aluminium Moroso valve covers and a gear drive set for $75 bucks! One of the covers has a dent in it, but they're getting powdercoated and I do bodywork for a living...So Ill be able to bang it out and make it pretty again

So I basically lucked out big time at a local swap meet here in Idaho. Found a set of lightly used 2003 cobra front control arms with poly bushings and new balljoints for $50. Yep. Crazy thing? The arms are designed to be used with tubular k members and are offset accordingly. SCORE!!!!

The swap pan, oil pickup, and mid length headers have been ordered, will post update when those buggers get here. Starting to look like a legit project now =)

Car is coming along, slowly but surely. Stay tuned!!

Last edited by Clif Brohn; 09-21-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

468ci?

im guessing a 460 bored out .40 makes it a 468?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

pretty sweet find on that engine.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:20 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

cool man sounds like a great build
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
468ci?

im guessing a 460 bored out .40 makes it a 468?
Im pretty sure thats what it works out too, since a .030 overbore rebuild is 466ci, i think the .040 overbore is a 468ci.

Yeah I about did a backflip when I pulled the heads off and noticed the block had been bored recently =)
Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i like the bbf idea something ive considered
Old 08-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

You should look into it, it really isnt that expensive/difficult. No fabrication required!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Very interested in what kind of hurdles you'll have dropping the BB in. Im finishing up with a engine stand 514/c6 build which I will be looking for a fox body to drop it in.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

UPDATED IN ORIGINAL POST
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

very very cool.

Quick Reply: 468ci '85 Mustang GT build thread