5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Had a date with Smog Nazis today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Styg
1st Gear Member

Default Had a date with Smog ***** today...

I was waiting for a warm day to smog the car and today it finally came. After some freeway it entered the torture chamber. It got subjected to evap test, sniffer, and full visual. In the end....PASS. Tech was surprised when I told him that the car has...not 90k, but 190k miles on it. Still the original cats and exhaust.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

just a little curious....how did they perform an evap test on it?? what is/are the criteria they use is CA for this??
Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Styg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
just a little curious....how did they perform an evap test on it?? what is/are the criteria they use is CA for this??
As far as I could tell they screw some sort of 'sniffer' in place of the fuel cap while the car is on the rollers (Here is what I found online regarding evap:The "Evap Test" consist mainly of them pulling your gas cap, putting an adaptor on your tank, and pumping Nitrogen in your tank at 35# and doing a leak off test )I believe that only 95 and older cars are required to do this.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Mark O'Neal
1st Gear Member

It is one of those "not every time" things? They've never done it on my son's 91.

They check the gas cap, but I've never seen them put an adapter on the filler neck.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Styg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mark O'Neal
It is one of those "not every time" things? They've never done it on my son's 91.

They check the gas cap, but I've never seen them put an adapter on the filler neck.
This is BAR info sheet regarding the evap test. They introduced it in 2007, so the evap test is only 3 years old. It could have been that station didn't have equipment for your son's 91. I am pretty sure if you take it in now they will test it.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

California is so dumb
Old 08-24-2010, 01:43 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

My car fails the visual, so i pay people off.

And the world goes round and another Prius owner sheds a tear.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:04 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
My car fails the visual, so i pay people off.

And the world goes round and another Prius owner sheds a tear.

I lol'd!!

The sad reality is that the energy used during the manufacturing of the parts for a hybrid and of the car itself, actually exceeds the energy savings in fuel from it being a hybrid. In other words, hybrids result in a total net pollution increase from their production and use compared to a typical vehicle, even a gas sucker like a large truck Talk about counter productive, but it makes the greenies think they're doing their part.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Styg
As far as I could tell they screw some sort of 'sniffer' in place of the fuel cap while the car is on the rollers (Here is what I found online regarding evap:The "Evap Test" consist mainly of them pulling your gas cap, putting an adaptor on your tank, and pumping Nitrogen in your tank at 35# and doing a leak off test )I believe that only 95 and older cars are required to do this.
hmm, they only test gas caps here
Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
hmm, they only test gas caps here
Yeah, but this is Kalifornia. You know cars sold in this state have additional emissions requirements, right? And I'm not sure if it's still the case now, but it used to be that the cars sold in this state were actually different and came with additional equipment. You can't even move to this state and bring a non Cali car in and get it registered in many cases without jumping through hoops to get the car up to "California emission standards."

Smog **** is not an exaggeration.

Edit: Fortunately for most people they move OUT of and not in to California.

Quick Reply: Had a date with Smog Nazis today...