5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Cutting Eibach Drag Launch Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 AM
mattlowe01
3rd Gear Member

Default Cutting Eibach Drag Launch Springs

Hey guys, Just wondering what your stance is on cutting these springs, or cutting springs in general.

I saw a picture of someones stang who cut a coil and a half off his springs, and the stance looked mean as hell.

I've got a set of eibach drag launch springs, but the car sits way too high for my liking.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattlowe01
Hey guys, Just wondering what your stance is on cutting these springs, or cutting springs in general.

I saw a picture of someones stang who cut a coil and a half off his springs, and the stance looked mean as hell.

I've got a set of eibach drag launch springs, but the car sits way too high for my liking.
ive cut mine, it gets a really low front rake when you do this. i cut exactly one coil off. i shouldnt have though. my 60's suffered because of it. but if its only look you're going for then buy a different spring because a drag launch isnt a lowering spring. its function over style with them.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Some springs are designed to be cut and some aren't. I believe it has to be a static rate spring but not sure if its always OK. Progressive rate springs get messed up if you cut them. The spring rate gets harsh and it is hard to know how much drop each cut will make. You can cut them but probably won't like the ride as much as the look.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
mattlowe01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ProTrickVic
ive cut mine, it gets a really low front rake when you do this. i cut exactly one coil off. i shouldnt have though. my 60's suffered because of it. but if its only look you're going for then buy a different spring because a drag launch isnt a lowering spring. its function over style with them.
Did you cut eibachs? Can I see a picture?

I understand my 60's would suffer, but I dont really take my car to the track, and I bought it with them on.

I just dropped loads of cash on new drag lites, a manual valve body, a hurst shifter, and to fix the leaks on my c4. I just want a meaner stance for now..
Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

i wouldnt cut them. its screws up how the spring performs. springs rnt that expensive. like $250 ish you will get the look you want and a good ride quality as well. plus you can sell the drag launch springs you have now and make some of that money back.

try h&r super sports. i havent used them yet but those are my next set if i decide to keep my car.. it has blue eibachs in there now which i assume are the drag launch but im not too sure. but they are def worn out in the rear. plus they look like doo doo cuz the front is a lot higher than the rear..
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
mattlowe01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
i wouldnt cut them. its screws up how the spring performs. springs rnt that expensive. like $250 ish you will get the look you want and a good ride quality as well. plus you can sell the drag launch springs you have now and make some of that money back.

try h&r super sports. i havent used them yet but those are my next set if i decide to keep my car.. it has blue eibachs in there now which i assume are the drag launch but im not too sure. but they are def worn out in the rear. plus they look like doo doo cuz the front is a lot higher than the rear..
Exactly. I have the blue eibachs, and the front is wayyy higher than the back.

Hmm. Guess if I do it, I'll do it right.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

better off taking them of and selling them.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

yeah just unload them to someone who wants them.

or go coilover in the front, then you can adjust the ride height etc etc