5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Well....look's like I picked up a '94 Cobra (well tomorrow)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Default Well....look's like I picked up a '94 Cobra (well tomorrow)

Not sure how many saw my choice between the '11 v6 and the '94 cobra. But the decision was finalized today. In short I really didn't feel comfortable with spending that much money on a car that would be my DD and a toy. Plus, in this cars paying 8k > paying 25k+.

Car came back today from a buyers inspection ATS in Everett which my co-workers goes to have his cars/drag engines looked at. (Jeremy [tech] Bryan [co worker]....thank you) Tech said 140 in all cylinders to the mark. said car looks like it has all brand new parts but has been run before (ie: not sunday driver). He did agree that it probably did have only 3000-5000 miles on all the new parts. First mod question he asked me though was if I was going to add a s/c to which i replied with resounding no. I like that it is built and well built and it is quick enough for what i want......for now.

onward to pictures and a couple questions....pics first :-D

Mod list:
- trick flow twisted wedge heads (need to get the specs on these)
- arp head studs
- E303 motorsport cam
- track heat upper and lower intake (sorry still a noob to the later model cars. this is all trick flow right?)
- MSD billet distributor/coil
- underdrive pullies
- complete fluidine cooling system with all new hoses and water pump
- quick adjust firewall clutch adjuster (how would i go about adjusting this if need be?)
- fidanza aluminum flywheel
- Cobra HD clutch (frankly im not a fan of this clutch....doesn't seem to like to engage unless you over 2000rpm....tho i only test drove it once)
- steeda short shifter

bunch of other suspension, rear end stuff
SO...questions

First off....I'm a classic mustang'er. EFI is a whole new beast to me. I have a 2001 Chevy and i neglect the hell outta it (except normal maintenance stuff...electronics like the ABS light i have....i aint touchin) so bare with me.

1) The car has a E303 cam in it. What are the specs on this cam (lift duration etc...)
2) How would I first go about tuning this car. The cam is brand new and the car has never been tuned to the cam.
- Are their tuners for '94 stangs? (cuz im having a hell of a time finding any....cant remeber when OBD2 came about....right around this time tho i think)
- The car stalls a lot when not warm. Car runs fine but when just starting out if you, say come to a light and put it into neutral it will die on you. You can restart but you have to hold the rpms to keep it from dying. once drivin for a bit it is totally fine. Any tuning i can do here?
- I'll ask him tomorrow but im guessing 93 octane and synthetic oil? Although i have no idea what his timing is. I wanna say it is somethin like 12* is normal for normal pump gas and when you up it to 16* you want 93 octane. Tho i could be way off on this....
- Any recommendation you all have would be awesome
3) Tranny: Original tranny. It feels good and precise. He has a dyno sheet that read 350hp at the wheel....as mentioned this seems hard to believe. But i still would like to know: The car itself has 152k miles with a stock/nonrebuilt tranny with a nice motor in front of it. should i run the car till i blow the tranny?
4) What to add/get rid off/improve: Still have about $3-4k id be willing to part with on this car and not feel too bad. This car will only be used in the summer in nice weather. Not looking for any big hp gains...it's always nice but not necessary. Just things that could make the ride better, make the interior better, etc.

Cliff Notes:
1) yay new car
2) Tune up q's: i suck at EFI...help
3) Tranny q's: how long would it survive....tranny options after blow up?
4) Non-hp/low-hp mods: exterior, interior, engine dress up?

the '66 will sit in the garage awaiting parts which are on their way :-/

Last edited by longlive289s; 09-09-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

If the trans shifts fine, isnt stiff nor grinds then its fine for a while. the cobra trans was rated a lil higher than the gt's anyway... if its bad, then i'd just rebuild it...

as for the stalling, pull codes, a sensor may be bad, or it has a vacuum leak idk. but pull codes to start, look online there is a way to do it using a paper clip and counting how many times the CEL flashes..

go through make sure all the sensors are clean, maybe new plugs and wires, tho i doubt it needs that if the engine was just rebuilt.

i'd maybe invest in a centerforce clutch if you dont like the cobra one... then maybe some suspension stuff if that is all still stock.

cosmetically, all she needs is a cobra R hood and visually that car is perfect. just maybe polish it. inside, its perfect as is, maybe get a few billet goodies but it looks like someone put in 03-04 cobra seats... which are awesome seats and quite $$$ on ebay these days

keep the taillights and the rear spoiler, they were specific to that year. and that spoiler is specific to those year cobras.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

If you can handle the problems and are happy with the car then go for it! It sounds like a great car! It looks great too! I would start thinking about an engine rebuild though, unless you're just going to drive it lightly, you can wait it out.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I doubt it has 350 rwhp, to many varibles with the said dyno sheet = may not even be for that car or dyno was been manipulated ect ect ...........
Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ya one of the first things i was gonna do was take the car to a carb/injection place that also does dyno's to get some #'s for myself.

The car doesn't have any engine code....least the CEL isn't on.

Actually suspension mods are one of the things i didnt mention. Subframe connectors, tubular K members, larger anti roll bar, shock tower brace, etc......the car handles like it is on rails.

the engine (least the top end, heads, intake, came, head gasket, PR's, rockers) are all brand new (1000 miles on em), and it has 140 in all cylinders so i dont think a rebuild is needed. tho that isn't holding me back from wanting to drop a 351 in there ;-)

....oh and ya.....she is getting all sorts of polished/cleaned when she gets home today
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

read codes on the car anyway some codes dont make the cel light come on and the cel light might be burnt out

put some gears in it.. if it doesnt have it already

base idle reset

and have fun i love the car looks awesome
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

how would i go about with a base idle reset? or would u do that with a tuner. thought u could only do that with obd2
Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/idlereset.php

try this
Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys....should be a lot of fun driving it home. god knows ill have plenty q's for you guys reguarding ecu and ignition stuff since im car computer retarded
Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

shoulda bought my car. Would have had a proven 400+ hp car, fully built, documented, and well known.

only would have cost you another $2k.

oh well...

Quick Reply: Well....look's like I picked up a '94 Cobra (well tomorrow)