5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

crank issues? bottom end ka-put?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

yea im doing that today. gonna cut open the filter, and check compression on #2 and see if its any worse
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

what about a bad driveshaft? or maybe your flywheel is outta balance itself?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
what about a bad driveshaft? or maybe your flywheel is outta balance itself?
it does it with the clutch in or out, so that puts the transmission, driveshaft, and such out of the picture.

the flywheel was resurfaced when I did the clutch swap, they check for balance, so I doubt its that.

Was unable to accomplish anything today, but will tomorrow, have some free time.

no one else gonna chime in? MJR? primetime?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

is it knocking at all? Still running hard? Burn oil?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
it does it with the clutch in or out
At speed or at idle? If it rattles with the clutch in at speed then that take the motor out of the picture IMO. If that's the case then I say its the driveshaft. Here's to hoping I'm right.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:01 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

and I quote

"Vibration issue. been this was for over a year, but has progressively gotten worse, HARDCORE vibration. So bad the nitrous bottle mount in the trunk shakes loudly at high RPMS. vibration starts around 3k rpm, and gets worse as you go up. Doesn't matter if clutch is in, or out, at speed, sitting still ETC"
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
At speed or at idle? If it rattles with the clutch in at speed then that take the motor out of the picture IMO. If that's the case then I say its the driveshaft. Here's to hoping I'm right.
Originally Posted by primetime5.0
and I quote

"Vibration issue. been this was for over a year, but has progressively gotten worse, HARDCORE vibration. So bad the nitrous bottle mount in the trunk shakes loudly at high RPMS. vibration starts around 3k rpm, and gets worse as you go up. Doesn't matter if clutch is in, or out, at speed, sitting still ETC"
Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well 302 sounds like we are both in the same boat on the vibration issues. Mine does the same thing right before or at 3k all the way up. I have mine down to the bottom end because I have had different everything except the rotating assembly. I have an extra crank sitting in my garage but that has been through a broke rod so I don't really want to mess with it. I do however have a stock motor comming to me soon so hopefully that fixes it. I went as far as welding my stock trashed motor mounts to make them solid. That helped a little but the motor itself still has issues.....Good Luck!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
is it knocking at all? Still running hard? Burn oil?
no knocking that I can hear over the exhaust, run's alright, still some stumbling and odd ****. tuner said it won't be perfect because the cam is SOOOO aggressive...... yea right.... and its not consistent, its a odd stumble, sometimes while accelerating, sometimes while just driving down the road, holding a consistent speed it will sputter. its ****ing odd.

it has always burned a bit of oil. but nothing extreme. now that the rear main is dripping, im sure It will need oil soon.

the day I drove it and made this thread, I would be cursing for a bit, and all a sudden smell oil, like it hit the exhaust, so I down shifted and nailed it for a bit, and smoke came into the car........ so yea..... burning oil from the midpipe, its stained with oil now.

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Well 302 sounds like we are both in the same boat on the vibration issues. Mine does the same thing right before or at 3k all the way up. I have mine down to the bottom end because I have had different everything except the rotating assembly. I have an extra crank sitting in my garage but that has been through a broke rod so I don't really want to mess with it. I do however have a stock motor comming to me soon so hopefully that fixes it. I went as far as welding my stock trashed motor mounts to make them solid. That helped a little but the motor itself still has issues.....Good Luck!!!
argh, damn it all!
I'm broke, I cant afford this shizz right now. car is gonna have to sit I guess. I cant risk it coming apart and me getting hurt.

ugh. thanks justin, I guess we are both SOL
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

oh yea, thanks for trying 83, lol

Quick Reply: crank issues? bottom end ka-put?