5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

slow 5 0

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 PM
PureEnergi

Default slow 5 0

I just bought this 88 gt and i dunno but i think the car is a bit slow.

has quite a few mods.. ported stock heads, e303, cobra intake 75mm maf 24lb injects bbk long tubes kk clutch/billit fly, 3:73"s rear granatelli addj
i have an old 91 daytona iroc turbo with similar $$ mods and the daytona will walk away from this ford like its stuck in the mud.

stang sounds great, drives great etc h pipe f40's etc.. seems to pull ok.. acts to me like it needs to rev a whole lot more. i mean 5k is like.. leaving me wondering why the hell i own it.

another cam ?? i mean something has to be wrong here. my first one so im open to ideas and well id buy the beers if you were local where should i have the timing set at?? anything else i should know would be cool too.

thanks in advance.

Peter
Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

its prolly not tuned right, you dont need 24's for that engine, the stock 19 injectors will be sufficient..

also your using a fossil of a camshaft, stock heads be it ported, are a huge bottleneck....

a new top end and a cam will wake the car up

oh and the mustangs stop pulling around 5 K the engine cuts fuel up around that RPM to prevent engine damage
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 PM
PureEnergi

Originally Posted by Shelty
its prolly not tuned right, you dont need 24's for that engine, the stock 19 injectors will be sufficient..

also your using a fossil of a camshaft, stock heads be it ported, are a huge bottleneck....

a new top end and a cam will wake the car up

oh and the mustangs stop pulling around 5 K the engine cuts fuel up around that RPM to prevent engine damage

cam recommendations? head recommendations?

interested thanks for the reply

peter
Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

190TW FAC's
custom billet cam

^^^

if going that route you'll want the biggest intake set up you can get (super vic or vic jr EFI version w/ 90* top hate 90mm tb and 90+mm MAF 36-42lb injectors and a tune) and large exhaust( 1 3/4" LT's 3" collector full 3" exhaust")

but if thats out of your price range as it would be for most.
then just get some tw FAC175's and call it a day. you'll still be slow but it'd be a monster over what you own now. high lift and lower on the duration side if you get a new cam.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 AM
toms93lx
1st Gear Member

i know i am probably be the only one to say this but .......to be honest with you i would trash the heads ....the ecam and the cobra intake .....they are cool and all but are just stock parts........with out the tune you are missing a bit probably ........what do you want to do with the car .........race it on the track or have fun on the street.....

my advice for what it is worth is to get a better mod match.....

i would set your timming at around 15 ....but some will say 18 ....fuel preasure should be about 36 to 39 with no vaccuum .....

things you need to find out is ......is the fuel pump upgraded......is the MAF calibrated to 24#ers.....if it is not calibrated to 24#s it will not run good .if your going to change things i wouldnt wast money on a tune.......

but even if it is running good all your running is stock parts and wont see much gain....

i have a trick flow set up and eat up stock moded (e cams and gt40 ****)5 speeds all the time and i dont even have a tune yet and running 273 gears
Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by toms93lx
i know i am probably be the only one to say this but .......to be honest with you i would trash the heads ....the ecam and the cobra intake .....they are cool and all but are just stock parts........with out the tune you are missing a bit probably ........what do you want to do with the car .........race it on the track or have fun on the street.....

my advice for what it is worth is to get a better mod match.....

i would set your timming at around 15 ....but some will say 18 ....fuel preasure should be about 36 to 39 with no vaccuum .....

things you need to find out is ......is the fuel pump upgraded......is the MAF calibrated to 24#ers.....if it is not calibrated to 24#s it will not run good .if your going to change things i wouldnt wast money on a tune.......

but even if it is running good all your running is stock parts and wont see much gain....

i have a trick flow set up and eat up stock moded (e cams and gt40 ****)5 speeds all the time and i dont even have a tune yet and running 273 gears

wrong wrong wrong and half wrong.

based on stock logic of the computer you should not lower the pressure below 39-45lbs vac off. this will effect spray patterns and atomization.

no more timing needed than 14 degrees. you car will have no benefit after that. BTDT, try as you may, there is no gain. 10-14 degrees is typical. there is more gain to be had out of degreeing in the stock cam rather than adjusting your timing.

and no, most say junk stock heads, not just you. read previous posts of recommendations, i dont see any saying keep stock heads.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM
toms93lx
1st Gear Member

i guess what i was getting at was dont wast your money on gt40 parts....they are just stock parts......

i get what you mean by timming but with out a tune if you set the timming at stock it wont advance enought on the top end with the stock compuer tune....if you set it a little fast you will see a little more pull on the high end but loose a little on the low end......and with a 5 speed who cares about the low end......

thats why when you get a tune they set the timmingg to 10 and change the advancment curve....take it for what its worth but if any thing try it.....play with the timming and see what the motor and the set up likes....try setting it high and low and you will see what i mean but every set up is differant .......
Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

i guess what i was getting at was dont wast your money on gt40 parts....they are just stock parts......

i get what you mean by timming but with out a tune if you set the timming at stock it wont advance enought on the top end with the stock compuer tune....if you set it a little fast you will see a little more pull on the high end but loose a little on the low end......and with a 5 speed who cares about the low end......

thats why when you get a tune they set the timmingg to 10 and change the advancment curve....take it for what its worth but if any thing try it.....play with the timming and see what the motor and the set up likes....try setting it high and low and you will see what i mean but every set up is differant .......

I mean no disrespect but dude you need to know what you're talkin about first before you go slinging "your" tech

do you know actually what you are doing by advancing your timing? like what happening within the motor when you do this?

and as an experiment, go and lock out your timing at 32* and report back of your findings on that. i'm sure you'll be quite surprised. remember though you'll have to re time the motor if you decide to run it with the spout back in.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM
toms93lx
1st Gear Member

i guess i dont get what you mean but its cool ...... i just know what i have experience and learned though different speed shops and talking with manufactures of aftermarket parts. all i know is if i set my timing at 10 it runs nice on the low end but you can fell tha lag in the upper rpm range. when i set it around 15 i lose a little on the low end but notice alot more on the top end ..... and every tunner i have talked to about it including trick flow have told me it is becouse of the stock timming curve. and they said by turning the timing up moves the curve up to closer match the cam. and every tunner that i have talked to reset the timing at 10. and they told me that with out a tune you need to run 15 to 18 becouse of the cam.........all i know is there is a huge difference with my car.......at 10 deg at 30mph punch not much happens....15 to 18 deg and a 30 punch it will breack the tires loose so that tells me that depending on you set up timming makes a difference if you dont have a tune but have matched mods..... thats all im getting at .....just like a plan stock 5.0 runs better at 12 to 14 than at the factory set 10.....

i am not saying your wrong or im right im just saying that that what i found out what works..

and i do know what happens when timming is advanced from the stock setting. i do know that you can detinate to early and to late........and i know that the sput just the link to the computer thats why you pull it when you set your rough timming.....if you can find anyone that runs a stock 5.0 at 10deg ill be surprised everyone i know run them at 12 to 14

what i have done to mine seems to work and make the difference until i get it tuned......

Last edited by toms93lx; 09-23-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

i guess i dont get what you mean but its cool ...... i just know what i have experience and learned though different speed shops and talking with manufactures of aftermarket parts. all i know is if i set my timing at 10 it runs nice on the low end but you can fell tha lag in the upper rpm range. when i set it around 15 i lose a little on the low end but notice alot more on the top end ..... and every tunner i have talked to about it including trick flow have told me it is becouse of the stock timming curve. and they said by turning the timing up moves the curve up to closer match the cam. and every tunner that i have talked to reset the timing at 10. and they told me that with out a tune you need to run 15 to 18 becouse of the cam.........all i know is there is a huge difference with my car.......at 10 deg at 30mph punch not much happens....15 to 18 deg and a 30 punch it will breack the tires loose so that tells me that depending on you set up timming makes a difference if you dont have a tune but have matched mods..... thats all im getting at .....just like a plan stock 5.0 runs better at 12 to 14 than at the factory set 10.....

i am not saying your wrong or im right im just saying that that what i found out what works..

your car might be doing that...sure. but for the next 1000 mustangs, they wont. i'm saying your practice is wrong, info is wrong. 10-14* base timing is correct.

lock out your timing if you wanna see some real acceleration. most of your run of the mill "think they are gear heads" know what they are talkin about but they dont. now i'm not saying i know everything because i dont.

get a dialback style timing light. pull your spout plug, set base timing to 32* and leave the spout out. tighten down your dizzy and take it for a ride. trust me, you'll be pleasantly surprised. also notice some of your idle issues(if you were having any, are now gone)

if you wanna have your computer control you again, go ahead and re-time you motor back to whatever "you" think is right and put your spout plug back in.

Quick Reply: slow 5 0