5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

cam in stock 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM
brendanryan0510
1st Gear Member

Exclamation cam in stock 5.0

im thinking about swapping out my stock cam for an aftermarket one, maybe a b303. i want to do this mainly for sound, but i do not want it to negatively effect my cars performance. the car is primarily a street car but will be built for roadracing. so i want to focus mainly on suspension and brakes first, but ive found myself thinking more and more about swapping out the cam for the time being until i can do a full H/C/I.

so ive got a few questions on this before i do anything:
~ is there a better cam choice for what i want besides the b303?
~ will i notice any performance losses by doing this?
~ what other parts will be needed to run the cam safely in the car?

thanks a lot guys....
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Most everyone will have this: alphabet cams=you can do better, old stuff. Cam by itself: wait until you have heads intake throttle body aftermarket headers. I piled parts around spare room, garage, and shed for 16 months untill I had a build ready.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 PM
brendanryan0510
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bubba 95SN
Most everyone will have this: alphabet cams=you can do better, old stuff. Cam by itself: wait until you have heads intake throttle body aftermarket headers. I piled parts around spare room, garage, and shed for 16 months untill I had a build ready.
i probobly wont be doing anything engine related besides MAYBE a cam swap for close to 3 to 4 years. i want to build my suspension and brakes first before engine. i know the "dynosaur" cams arnt the best choice, but ive heard they are very decent for a stock or otherwise stock 5.0 (correct me if wrong).

right now, i just want the cam for the sound IF its not going to noticeibly effect my performance negatively.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

do long tubes and off road if you want sound. then some 1.7's

you wont benefit from a cam change and yes... you might lose... i like the tfs cams
Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 PM
brendanryan0510
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
do long tubes and off road if you want sound. then some 1.7's

you wont benefit from a cam change and yes... you might lose... i like the tfs cams
i may think about cutting off my cats in the spring sometime also.

i know i wont benifit from this, but im concerned about loosing power. how would a stage 1 tfs cam work in my car? i also posted on another forum and they sugested comp XE cams, how would one of them be?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:34 PM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

If you are doing a cam and have the stock e-7 garbage heads off anyway, just pick up a set of low milage explorer gt40p heads for <$300, get stiffer springs for them and use a comp cams xe270hr with 1.6:1 rockers to clear stock pistons. And you can pull the explorer (gt40) intake from a junkyard for $70. This will really wake the car up for cheap!

If you get the "P" heads, you need different headers. The BBK longtubes work with them fine, you just need two spark plug wires with a 90*bend and heat wrap. Or you could use stock headers with regular gt40 heads. Still a HUGE improvement in HP.

Last edited by DJ19895.0; 09-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:34 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

im not a big cam guy... all i can tell you is that that tfs cam is split duration, and a 5.0 favors exhaust. but the stock stuff will support 300-350 hp, i have sprayed too many stock cars to prove that a fact. so if sound is big for you....go long tubes. dont bother cam til heads and intake....it' all gonna come off anyways... why put back on stock ?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJ19895.0
If you are doing a cam and have the stock e-7 garbage heads off anyway, just pick up a set of low milage explorer gt40p heads for <$300, get stiffer springs for them and use a comp cams xe270hr with 1.6:1 rockers to clear stock pistons. And you can pull the explorer (gt40) intake from a junkyard for $70. This will really wake the car up for cheap!
to each his own... i disagree with everything he said.

e7te heads are a pretty good stock head. like i said.. ive gone 12.50's on them

gt40P are crap... gt40 i like but they like some exhaust porting...p's are good for paper weights or tie em together for a boat anchor

gt40 intake from an explorer has tiny ports... the BA lower really limits you and im not really convinced it's anything over stock. again... the stock intake will support a lot more than most give credit for.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:42 PM
brendanryan0510
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJ19895.0
i actually found the gt40 heads and the intake for $350 off ebay. im thinking about putting some money towards that, have the heads ported and the intake ported, and do a top-end rebuild over the winter MAYBE. but by the time thats done, it may be easier to get a TFS top-end kit. i really want to do suspension and brakes first but im getting some ticking from under the passenger side valve conver and im starting to get some rust, so i may be pulling the engine.....

im not a big cam guy... all i can tell you is that that tfs cam is split duration, and a 5.0 favors exhaust. but the stock stuff will support 300-350 hp, i have sprayed too many stock cars to prove that a fact. so if sound is big for you....go long tubes. dont bother cam til heads and intake....it' all gonna come off anyways... why put back on stock ?
yeah, thats true. im still debating this. i wanna build my suspension as much as possible and get the ssbc big brake kit and rear disc conversion kit for roadracing before i get into engine. im just trying to think this out and get all the right answers before i get into something....

Last edited by brendanryan0510; 09-26-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 PM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

to each his own... i disagree with everything he said.

e7te heads are a pretty good stock head. like i said.. ive gone 12.50's on them

gt40P are crap... gt40 i like but they like some exhaust porting...p's are good for paper weights or tie em together for a boat anchor

gt40 intake from an explorer has tiny ports... the BA lower really limits you and im not really convinced it's anything over stock. again... the stock intake will support a lot more than most give credit for.

No offense, but why do you think the P heads are crap? They flow better than the gt40's and have a better designed spark plug location.

Quick Reply: cam in stock 5.0