5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

new 347 build specs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:43 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

port the ever living snot out of those heads if you have to keep these heads (get a real nice CNC program run on it),

custom billet cam preferably(or if you are just dying to buy an off the shelf cam look for something billet, very short duration, 108-110 lobe separation and high lift)

if you want more power from the cam get solid, if you want ease of use get hydro, link bar lifters for valve train stability.

pro systems custom carb...or if you dont wanna spend the money get some kind of 850dp or 900cfm carb,

1 7/8 LT's or 2" LT's w/ adapter plates 3"+ dumped flow through style mufflers

get a better style intake, like a super vic or vic jr. I like super vic personally but not everyone has the hood clearance....then port it if you have money.

^^with that you should have an easy shift point of 6800-7000rpms and it'd fly with proper gearing and suspension to plant the power. you'd have well over 500 to the flywheel

also if this is going to be a drag car you might want to look into an evac system, good for another 20hp ish...

Last edited by ProTrickVic; 09-30-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM
hypertruejedi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ProTrickVic
port the ever living snot out of those heads if you have to keep these heads (get a real nice CNC program run on it),

custom billet cam preferably(or if you are just dying to buy an off the shelf cam look for something billet, very short duration, 108-110 lobe separation and high lift)

if you want more power from the cam get solid, if you want ease of use get hydro, link bar lifters for valve train stability.

pro systems custom carb...or if you dont wanna spend the money get some kind of 850dp or 900cfm carb,

1 7/8 LT's or 2" LT's w/ adapter plates 3"+ dumped flow through style mufflers

get a better style intake, like a super vic or vic jr. I like super vic personally but not everyone has the hood clearance....then port it if you have money.

^^with that you should have an easy shift point of 6800-7000rpms and it'd fly with proper gearing and suspension to plant the power. you'd have well over 500 to the flywheel

also if this is going to be a drag car you might want to look into an evac system, good for another 20hp ish...
the cam im looking at is a .552 lift with a 112 lobe separation. i am also looking into 1 5/8 LT headers with a 2.5in collector. my lifters are linked. i think i had the wrong definition of high rise, because i have a vic jr. intake and it is already ported. full drag suspension with a t65 trans but a 3.30 rear any of this look ok or am i way off?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

with a 170 head and that set up...you'll be lucky to break 400 rwhp. but then again who knows, build what you want then go chase the dyno
Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
hypertruejedi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
with a 170 head and that set up...you'll be lucky to break 400 rwhp. but then again who knows, build what you want then go chase the dyno
just out of curiosity why do you say that? is something wrong with the build? aside from the small heads that everyone keeps mentioning...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

go over on the corral.net and see what everyone is using to make 400-450 rwhp out of their strokers and it's not with 170 heads or x-cams , not being rude to you just being realistic........all the tfs headed strokers that I have been a part of and been around have 190 -205 heads, free flowing exhaust and the proper cam and if using a carb one capable of allowing the stroker to take in the required air charge, Take some time to educate yourself by reading these threads from the corral on what it takes and all of them are low 400 to mid 400 rwhp builds, and some have small headers and small cams but everyone of them has good heads, correct some of the short comings in the builds and I'm sure they'd all pick up significant gains. Even my 347 is in the low 400's cause I run a ported rpm air gap intake when it needs a single plane victor jr and I run 1 5/8's lt's when it needs larger,, heck my whole exhaust is small for all practical purposes but I run a 185 cc afr cnc ported head, but rwhp is not my goal, ET is, if I wanted more out of mine, first thing i'D do is switch to a 205 tfs head, victor jr and upgrade the exhaust and I gaurantee I'd be at or over 450 rwhp, however, at what cost?? let's say more than a few Benji's, for now I'm fine, if I want more I just crack my bottle and take it from the low 400's up to close to 500 and at that it has run 10's with ease
for your reading pleasure

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1255616
http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1254393
http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1254997
Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 AM
hypertruejedi
1st Gear Member

From what I'm looking at it seems like my build is geared more at a 420-450hp set up. This sound more correct?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:41 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by hypertruejedi
From what I'm looking at it seems like my build is geared more at a 420-450hp set up. This sound more correct?
I doubt it with 170 heads, possibly under 400 rwhp........build it and find out, worst case it doesn't achieve the goal and you can go at it again............
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

the cam im looking at is a .552 lift with a 112 lobe separation(what duration? you should really spend the extra 50-100 bucks to get a custom made billet cam). i am also looking into 1 3/4" LT headers with a 3"in collector. my lifters are linked. i think i had the wrong definition of high rise, because i have a vic jr. intake and it is already ported. full drag suspension with a t65 trans but a 4.30 rear any of this look ok or am i way off?

i fixed your post
Old 10-01-2010, 10:50 AM
hypertruejedi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I doubt it with 170 heads, possibly under 400 rwhp........build it and find out, worst case it doesn't achieve the goal and you can go at it again............
i think were looking at this from 2 different angles. when i say i am aiming at say 450hp im talking about to the flywheel. not to the ground. so if what your saying is true (and im fairly sure it is) then if i made 400rwhp that equates to around 450-460 on the motor; which is what i am aiming for. again worst case if i build it with these specs and the heads don't perform well, i could either A: get larger heads such as 200+ or so. or B: port the heads to their limit? yes?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

i think were looking at this from 2 different angles. when i say i am aiming at say 450hp im talking about to the flywheel. not to the ground. so if what your saying is true (and im fairly sure it is) then if i made 400rwhp that equates to around 450-460 on the motor; which is what i am aiming for. again worst case if i build it with these specs and the heads don't perform well, i could either A: get larger heads such as 200+ or so. or B: port the heads to their limit? yes?

do what you want man, i can already see you have a goal, you get sound advise....and you try to do soemthing different with it. you wont get 400+fwhp with 1 5/8 unless you're boosted or have tons of cubes. vic jr. is the only thing you have going for you and even then i'd have it professionally ported. get some proper heads or port the hell out of yours, shell out the money for a custom cam. it doesnt cost you much more than a "performance" off the shelf cam. make sure its billet core and not some P.O.S. SADI core cam. you will need a bigger carb for that kind of power, with link bars and sound valve train geometry i see no reason why you cant rev it to 7k and make some nice power.

Quick Reply: new 347 build specs?