5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

new 347 build specs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

Go with a 200cc head or bigger. Your HP goals will only be accomplished this way. They are right- Your Heads, Cam, Carb, and Exhaust will take you all the way. Especially if you match everything!! Your Cam is what you need to do your homework on, call whoever you need to that is going to be grinding it and they will tailor fit to match your needs!! I dont agree with the saying earlier on what 331 said about you will never want more though!! Doesnt matter what you do to it, after you reach your goal then it will only be time and it wont be fast enough for you again. We are never happy with our cars and we are always yearning to go a little bigger and faster. I only suggest that you do your homework, because this can quickly get in to a situation where it becomes only a race car. With going Big and Bad sometimes you lose focus and you cant even drive it on the street anymore!! So make sure you look at your original goals and ask yourself on what you want to sacrifice!! Do you want a bad *** street car or do you want a drag car?? When you purchase a Cam this is what you will have to decide. I would rather have a bad *** street car that I can enjoy and drive all the time rather than trailoring it to the drag strip because it is not streetable. This is why maybe when you look at the whole situation, do you want to go get a big lumpy cam that you cant drive on the street? Or do you want to geta Cam that takes it right to the limit so you can drive it to the local dragstrip?? This is where a shot of juice comes in to play. If you are building a street car then I would push it as far as you can without sacrificing the streetability of it. So when you take it to the track you could push a 150 shot through it, then drive it home!! Or build it to be a trailer queen!! I've done both and I like driving my cars more than stairing at them in the garage or in the rear view mirror of the truck that I am trailoring it with!! Its up to you but in my mind it is more grattifying driving the thing home after you just whooped up on someone at the track- It also pisses them off more when you pass them on the highway on the way home and you are driving it while theirs are being pulled home!!

Last edited by Blown408; 10-27-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

^^^^
id rather work on my driving technique then just throw more hp at my car to make up for MY inadequacies...

im aiming for MAYBE 400rwhp. ill be happy with that for a long time, probably as long as the stock block is willing to take 7000rpm for...

yes, ill get walked on the front straights by Corvettes and Viper (but not by much ), but BOYYYY will it feel nice to leave them behind when i brake 50ft later than them...

on the street itll give up a little bit down low, but think about it:

-you NEVER drop below 4000rpm when your driving ***** to the wall, so who cares about power below there?

-if my low speed (<2000rpm) is bad, ill just avoid traffic jams and stay in each gear longer

because the style of racing i want involves a lot more effort (not skill) ill invest in better compound tires and more track oriented brakes to go faster. road racing isnt about who can go fastest at the end of that front straight you know... 8 out of 10 street cars could benefit from a little more lateral and stopping ability too...
Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

I agree totally 331. That is kind of the way I believe too. Been there on the whole"Only a drag car thing". I believe having a well rounded car is the way to go. Anyone can drive in a straight line. It is awesome when you know your car can do everything. Thats when the excitement comes in to owning a street car. I am trying actually to tone my car down a bit- I took off the efi and am going to a blow thru carb for tunabilty reasons but I am trying to make my car a little more friendly on the street. Taking the welds off and going with 18" Saleen package as well as putting power steering back on and trying to put ac and a heater back in.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 PM
qwik347

my 347 has victor jr. heads and intake custom grind cam from bennett racing. car has been 11.14 121 with crappy converter and i drive it to track.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 PM
87Stallion
3rd Gear Member

Making 500 HP isnt cheap. I just found out that leason building my 393 stroker.

Power cost money no way around it. And go custom with cam youll be happier in the long run.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 PM
hypertruejedi
1st Gear Member

second opinion on this? AFR 205's, .621 lift cam 228 duration @ .50 lift, ported vic jr. intake, and a 750 carb? this is the general idea of what im getting from these forums, corral, and a mechanic friend. (and i just reread this thread and noticed that i never mentioned i have a dart block. i was wondering why everyone kept saying the block would not hold lol. sry)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:00 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hypertruejedi
second opinion on this? AFR 205's, .621 lift cam 228 duration @ .50 lift, ported vic jr. intake, and a 750 carb? this is the general idea of what im getting from these forums, corral, and a mechanic friend. (and i just reread this thread and noticed that i never mentioned i have a dart block. i was wondering why everyone kept saying the block would not hold lol. sry)

that'd be a pretty nice set up. then just pay attention to details, match springs to whatever cam you get (hopefully you are getting a billet custom cam) your exhaust at minimum you'll want 1 3/4" x 3" LT's and run 3" out. preferably use a flow through style muffler. you might end up needing more carb but its hard to say right now.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
hypertruejedi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ProTrickVic
that'd be a pretty nice set up. then just pay attention to details, match springs to whatever cam you get (hopefully you are getting a billet custom cam) your exhaust at minimum you'll want 1 3/4" x 3" LT's and run 3" out. preferably use a flow through style muffler. you might end up needing more carb but its hard to say right now.
the headers im getting are hooker LTs 1 3/4" to a 3" collector, so i guess im alright there too. my math keeps saying 846cfm for a carb. (call it 850..) so what kind of mufflers do you suggest? im partial to flowmaster, but i know a lot of people who have very mixed feelings on them lol
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hypertruejedi
the headers im getting are hooker LTs 1 3/4" to a 3" collector, so i guess im alright there too. my math keeps saying 846cfm for a carb. (call it 850..) so what kind of mufflers do you suggest? im partial to flowmaster, but i know a lot of people who have very mixed feelings on them lol
you're fine on the sizing of the LT's however check out MAC's over on cjponyparts.com. i got mine for a hair over $300 dollars on sale there. just a suggestion

call patrick at prosystems to get a good idea on carb. you're probably right, thats what i was thinking was more right for your application but im not an expert like patrick.

im partial to turbo mufflers(flow through) like magna flow round case, or your summit glass packs. i think they sound great. i run MAC LT's, summit 3"x16" glass pack dumped. i dont have any midpipe or anything.