5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Where is my coolant going?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Default Where is my coolant going?!

Ok. I've got quite the problem. Since I used my heater during a bad rainstorm, my damn car seems to be losing coolant quickly. It's not dropping out of the car at all. NO leaks anywhere in the engine bay. I can't figure out where it's going. If the car is driven at low RPM's, it'll heat up and very quickly. At highway speeds above 50mph, it's perfectly fine. Besides that, it'll heat up. Also my electric fan will only come on randomly now. I don't know why's that. Can anyone help? Did a sensor die?

Also, what the hell am I doing wrong? In the past year I have gone through 6 clutch cables. Can anyone take a picture of where it should be routed? Maybe I'm routing it wrong? I have the whole firewall adjuster setup.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

your most likely routed to close to the header, it goes on the underside of the mount and between the engine, as for coolant, make sure the cooling system is topped off and bleed properly, not doing such will create air pockets and hot and cool spots and cause temp sensors and fan sensing bulbs to not properly function
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Take the thermostat and drill small hole put hole position at 12 oclock position when installing. Slowly refill and all air will pretty much be gone. Some thermostats have a bleeder some do not.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

So the cable goes underneath the engine mount?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
So the cable goes underneath the engine mount?
between the engine and the bottom of the mount, mine touches the underside of the mount
Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

from the sound of it you have a blown head gasket. Heats up quick due to the combustion going into the cooling system and fine driving since air flows across the radiator cooling it off.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

@Boss: I'd hope not. I just changed that two months ago. Also no coolant in the oil and no blue smoke coming out the back.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

If you have a way to put air into the cylinder, take the radiator cap off and put air into the cylinders (one at a time) and see if a bubble comes up. Also do a compression test. If the compression test passes you probably dont have a blown head gasket.

However you said you just changed them. Are you sure you put them on in the correct orientation?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 PM
83fox50
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
If you have a way to put air into the cylinder, take the radiator cap off and put air into the cylinders (one at a time) and see if a bubble comes up. Also do a compression test. If the compression test passes you probably dont have a blown head gasket.

However you said you just changed them. Are you sure you put them on in the correct orientation?
if you cant do this method, go to Autozone and rent block tester fluid and tester.
part numbers 25739 and 27145.
this method allows you to see what is happening while the engine is running at operating temperatures.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

I think you guys jinxed it.lol

Quick Reply: Where is my coolant going?!