5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

9.5:1 compression, to low for a N/A motor??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Default 9.5:1 compression, to low for a N/A motor??

Well i just found a good deal on a fresh 351w on craigslist, i got the part numbers for the pistons off the seller and found out the compression ratio would be 9.5:1 with 60cc heads, which i was going to use. Is this to low for the N/A motor? Sorry if this is a ignorant question but i dont know much about compression ratios, and i dont want to put the thing together and have it be a dog in the spring. What do you guys think?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Sounds a little low to me but that 9.5 compression would probably make it real street friendly.
With 9.5 I don't think it would support much of a cam real good........
Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Any other opinions/advise?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

9.5 is a perfect street ratio for N/A. Stock 5.0's came with 9.0:1. You'll be able to run the **** out of it, while using pump gas. Any higher ratio, and you're looking at octane additives to remain in a safe range.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:42 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Youll be fine,as stated any higher your gonna have to run a high octane fuel,My motor is 9.7:1,and I spray mine,without the nitrous its street manners are perfect. I run pump gas in mine(93oct) and spray 125.Runs like a beaut.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Compression and cam work together. 9.5:1 can still let you run a healthy cam up to 6,500rpm easily. Also engines make quite a bit more power with more timing and less compression than they do with less timing and more compression. With more modest compression and the correct cam, you can run a more aggressive tune safely on pump fuel than you could otherwise. The extra timing will give you more power over a wider rpm range, better throttle response and better mileage.

And just fyi, most new factory cars are running the 11:1 and 11.5:1 ratios for part throttle mileage. At part throttle you're starving the cylinders to breathe, so they barely fill up, the higher static compression makes up for the poor dynamic compression at part throttle and gives them better mileage and emissions, which are critical in production cars with requirements to meet in those areas. But they usually have to compromise their tune at WOT, with factory "safe" tunes often being pig rich and short on timing.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Compression and cam work together. 9.5:1 can still let you run a healthy cam up to 6,500rpm easily. Also engines make quite a bit more power with more timing and less compression than they do with less timing and more compression. With more modest compression and the correct cam, you can run a more aggressive tune safely on pump fuel than you could otherwise. The extra timing will give you more power over a wider rpm range, better throttle response and better mileage.

And just fyi, most new factory cars are running the 11:1 and 11.5:1 ratios for part throttle mileage. At part throttle you're starving the cylinders to breathe, so they barely fill up, the higher static compression makes up for the poor dynamic compression at part throttle and gives them better mileage and emissions, which are critical in production cars with requirements to meet in those areas. But they usually have to compromise their tune at WOT, with factory "safe" tunes often being pig rich and short on timing.
Im probably going to pick up the motor tomorrow, how do i figure out what cam will make the best power?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Get a custom grind, then you'll have no doubts. And it will be ideal for your setup and how you intend to use it.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302

hence the reason the factory LS series engines (which have between 10.5-11:1) use a VERY wide LSA to prevent the cylinders from filling up as well under high load/rpm situations...
Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

BTW, im aiming for 10.8:1 on my engine, i think adder is right around there, and dont quote me but mjr might be up there too.

you could always ask 5.0kid about his 13.5:1 engine...

Quick Reply: 9.5:1 compression, to low for a N/A motor??