5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

91 GT with 21K Original Mileage - Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Ramik80

Default 91 GT with 21K Original Mileage - Question

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and have a question regarding my new 1991 Ford Mustang GT Conv't with 21K Original Mileage that I recently purchased. It is wise to take it to Mustang Magic (located in Dix Hills, LI) to get a complete tune up? I just changed the synthetic oil last week. Also, the original owner always put regular gas in the car - I filled it up for the first time with Super ... it that a problem or should I stick with the regular gas? Thanks Guys , I appreciate all the info I can get....Ramik80
Old 11-05-2010, 08:24 AM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

Cant really advise as far as the tune up goes, but unless stated otherwise in your Owners Manual just put regular gas in it, which the engine was designed for.

Just curious what kind of condition is this car in?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Ramik80

I guess I will continue to put regular gas in it. Thanks! As far as the condition of the car it is in mint condition. The only thing the old man did was slap a fresh paint job with its original color (it is triple black) black inside, outside and conv't top is black. The interior is in excellent shape, engine is clean but has dust and stuff like that - which brings me to engine cleaning question... Is it safe to have a pro steam clean or power wash the engine?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ramik80
I guess I will continue to put regular gas in it. Thanks! As far as the condition of the car it is in mint condition. The only thing the old man did was slap a fresh paint job with its original color (it is triple black) black inside, outside and conv't top is black. The interior is in excellent shape, engine is clean but has dust and stuff like that - which brings me to engine cleaning question... Is it safe to have a pro steam clean or power wash the engine?
yes it is, might want to pop off the distributor cap after you wash it and clean the leads off of any water or condensation. lots of people complain of stumbling or mis fire after washing engine, this is due to water getting into leads and terminals usually.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Ramik80

So if I tell the place that will do the steam cleaning or power washing to the car to pop off the distributor cap and wipe off the moist areas from the leads, the engine should be go to go? I hope so... This car is truly hard to find in the condition it is in and I intend to keep that way!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

So if I tell the place that will do the steam cleaning or power washing to the car to pop off the distributor cap and wipe off the moist areas from the leads, the engine should be go to go? I hope so... This car is truly hard to find in the condition it is in and I intend to keep that way!

if they are willing to do it then yea. i thought you were going to do it on your own. some places wont touch things in your car for liability reasons. i'd just have them do it and if you're having stumbling or mis fire issues after words you can just pop off the cap and wipe it down or just leave it sit till it evaporates away.

i wouldnt be worried though, just have them do it. you should be just fine.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
jsaleen90
1st Gear Member

Wow a 91 gt conv with 21k miles. Great find. congrats. I would stick with regular fuel that is all it needs anything else is a waste of money unless you supercharge it.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Ramik80

Yeah it was a great find. I love the car and pamper it the same way the previous owner did. I would like to find out if there any foxbody shows in the nyc area that I can attend .. I know the season is over but I would like to know for future... Also, I will continue to put regular gas in the car and I am still skeptical about power washing the engine - just scared its going to cause problems..I could just be paranoid. Anyone know where I can get the original floor mats with the mustang logo - The one in the car it nice but I would like to put brand new one.... jsaleen, I plan on keeping this car completly stock I believe that it would be appreciated more that way, dont you think?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Yeah it was a great find. I love the car and pamper it the same way the previous owner did. I would like to find out if there any foxbody shows in the nyc area that I can attend .. I know the season is over but I would like to know for future... Also, I will continue to put regular gas in the car and I am still skeptical about power washing the engine - just scared its going to cause problems..I could just be paranoid. Anyone know where I can get the original floor mats with the mustang logo - The one in the car it nice but I would like to put brand new one.... jsaleen, I plan on keeping this car completly stock I believe that it would be appreciated more that way, dont you think?
late model restoration...

you can get them blank, with the lettering, with the pony emblem or the 5.0 emblem (like i gots)
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

Great find bud, congrats!! Sounds like a killer car- You got the right find!! Triple Black!! Is it a five speed? I'm partial to drop tops. They are awesome!! In the winter, I would also store it on stands. Make sure you buy a nice car cover, spend the extra money on the good ones- Your paint will thank you in the long run. A cheap car cover will eat up paint over time. I would probably go with a tune up and a K&N Filter. Any pics?? Did it come with leather?

Quick Reply: 91 GT with 21K Original Mileage - Question