5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Speedo Gear??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default Speedo Gear??

Obviously after swapping in the 3.73's my speedo is off. Looking at latemodel's chart they don't have a gear for a 93 with 3.73's. Theirs stop at 3.55's.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...lication-Guide

Now they do sell a kit that has the speedo gear and trans' drive gear that would make it correct but what do you guys use for the speedo gear itself?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

If you do not want to take the time to intall proper drive and driven gear just borrow a GPS. Then figure at what rpm the speed really is. Now no money or work involved.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

wheel size also effects this reading, since you have 17s... try calling Late model and talk to one of their tech guys. someone once told me that you can talk to a ford tech... but they prolly dont even know anymore
Old 11-09-2010, 04:18 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

As long as the tire height is the same as stock the wheel size itself won't affect it. There would be very minimal difference from that. I have no issue doing the work to install the gears and make things work properly. I have already done the calculations for the rpm and speed but having a speedo that works correctly is always nice
Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I just used the 23-tooth with my 3.73's...was a little off as stated!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Obviously after swapping in the 3.73's my speedo is off. Looking at latemodel's chart they don't have a gear for a 93 with 3.73's. Theirs stop at 3.55's.

Now they do sell a kit that has the speedo gear and trans' drive gear that would make it correct but what do you guys use for the speedo gear itself?
LMR is the ****tiest company ever, their chart is WAY the **** wrong.
All I need to know is wat gears you have, what type and what year your trans is

Post that and ill give you the right info

Originally Posted by Bubba 95SN
If you do not want to take the time to intall proper drive and driven gear just borrow a GPS. Then figure at what rpm the speed really is. Now no money or work involved.
Stop posting, seriously. I like you, but you are really starting to **** me off.

Originally Posted by Shelty
wheel size also effects this reading, since you have 17s... try calling Late model and talk to one of their tech guys. someone once told me that you can talk to a ford tech... but they prolly dont even know anymore
Shelty, LMR doesnt have techs.. they have some desk jockey that gets paid $7/hr to read some pre-typed bull****.

also, the wheel size has NOTHING to do with speedo accuracy... its all about the OVERALL DIAMETER of the rear tires.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:18 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Adder you quoted the info.

FRPP 3.73's
93 T5

Thank ya buddy!
Right now the speedo is just about 10mph fast. As far as I know the drive gear inside hasn't been touched. Right now the black 20 tooth is on the cable for the 3.08's that were in the car.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ear-Kit-Manual
Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Adder you quoted the info.

FRPP 3.73's
93 T5

Thank ya buddy!
Right now the speedo is just about 10mph fast. As far as I know the drive gear inside hasn't been touched. Right now the black 20 tooth is on the cable for the 3.08's that were in the car.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ear-Kit-Manual
The reason I asked is because I didnt know your car was a 5 speed.

AAANYway..... Assuming your T5 is a 93 model, your will have a 8T drive gear on the output shaft, The maximum gear you can correct for without ripping the trans apart (which isnt hard) is 3.55's. That would require you to use the Jeep 23T white speedo gear.

Now if you want your speedo to be correct, you will need to remove the tailshaft housing and swap the gear to either a 6t or 7t gear.

a 6T(black) drive gear will require a 18T(yellow) speed sensor gear
a 7T(yellow) drive gear will require a 21T(red) speed sensor gear
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Awesome, thanks Adder. How many teeth do the older T5's have? I just remembered I have a busted T5 sitting in the back of the 83 that I can check the drive gear on...
Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 PM
92FourNine

I just put the red 21T in my 92. Got it close enough that it doesn't completely bother me. I didn't really have the resources to pull my tranny at the time, though.

Quick Reply: Speedo Gear??