5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Four Cyl. To 5.0 Swap Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:08 PM
DeathAfterPain

Thumbs up Four Cyl. To 5.0 Swap Questions...

Okay first off new to site, so here goes...

Bought a '90 Hatch Lx Car about 2 years ago in good shape for under a grand with plans of building a car that Ive been wanting for a long time. I recently purchased a engine/trans out of '89 town car (or so Ive been told) for cheap. my car is a factory T5 car with Big pinto power-plant (joke), and i am trying to reuse the transmission with my new motor... i know i am going to need some parts besides the bell housing, which i should have later this week:

Flywheel- 1989 GT Mustang i Presume...?

Clutch set - 1989 GT Mustang?

Pilot Bearing - this is where my real unsureness comes in, Ive been told that i need a pilot from a 3.0L Ford Ranger... Is this correct? If so, what year?

Manifold - I am running a carb setup since everything on my car is power (Windows, Mirrors, Locks Ect.) and everything still works and all my gauges currently works so i dont want to hack the harness and mess it all up so Ive Decided on Edlebrock's Performer RPM manifold to match the 3.73 gears i plan to run.

Carb - I am a Holley man personally only because that's all that i have experience with and know how to tune, so i am going to run the 4160 Polished 600cfm that we sell at the Advance Auto Parts i work at and its pretty cheap and is super easy to tune(Preset Float) just idle, Choke, and Air bleed adjustments.

I could go on but really i want some input from everyone else, also i have some pictures to post as well.... so lets hear it! Thanks Guys!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
DeathAfterPain

Default Pics

some pics...

Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

clutch and flywheel yes.pilot bearing get one for say like a 83 ford ranger with a diesel motor.or have them look up a bearing number 6202,or if you get a motor city bearing its part number s-202-ss.oh and that motor is only gonna be around 150 hp
Old 11-25-2010, 12:06 AM
DeathAfterPain

I have a stock camshaft from a '91 GT that i acquired at a garage sale along with a set of roller rockers for 50 bucks, will that help it out a little?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

that mustang cam will give you the HO firing order... maybe a small bump in power but not much otherwise

but your gonna need to get the mustang engine brackets as well the panther chassis was different and it looks like the alt is on the wrong side.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by DeathAfterPain
I have a stock camshaft from a '91 GT that i acquired at a garage sale along with a set of roller rockers for 50 bucks, will that help it out a little?
the heads are where the power needs to be made, with the cam and roller rockers and intake and carb you plan to use, figure around or close to 200 rwhp
Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Going to feel like a rocket after riding the 4 banger.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 AM
DeathAfterPain

thanks guys alot, i plan on eventually swapping heads as soon as i can afford some, but for the time being im just gonna run the grandma heads from her towncar just to get the car built. whats the deal with the firing order, i know that the HO engine has a differnt firing order than a non HO, but i didnt know it could change... do i just need to get a distributer to match?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

for carb applications an 85 dizzy with a steel gear is what you'll need along with the ign box and coil
Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

my car used to have a motor from a 88 towncar in it.it was under powered but my coupe still kept up with my friends gt

Quick Reply: Four Cyl. To 5.0 Swap Questions...