5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Part names

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Default Part names

I have finally fixed the car to a drivable condition and today the first snow fell out, so it's awesome. But there are still few things that I have to fix, and I don't know what to order. Maybe someone can tell me the English names for them.

So far the following parts are in poor condition:
Front left brake disc metallic cover (from the inside) is missing- Backing plate
Rear left axle "seal", the oil is leaking through the left axle outer end. axle seal
Front cross of the cardan
Rear brake metallic tubes are rusty
Handbrake lines - Emergency/parking brake cables
Bushings for rear end (rubber stuff) control arm bushings??
Tie rod end left, there is a metallic pulsating sound when I brake as the front rotors are warped. outer tie rod

Also, another 99-04, 4.6 Mustang owner asked me what is the name of the rear secondary strut/shock absorber. The part that's absorbs side-way shocks or something. quad shock

P.S.: What is the name of that cardan safeguard that doesn't let the car to be thrown over if it comes loose? sway bar???

Last edited by mjr46; 11-25-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

see my post edit^^^^^
Old 11-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Thank you! List already helps!

P.S.: What is the name of that cardan safeguard that doesn't let the car to be thrown over if it comes loose? sway bar???
Nope, I mean the part that's a requirement for serious drag race use and is an aftermarket thing. Cardan (the large axle that transfers power from front to rear) it's connected with cross type connectors, and if one of them breaks loose, the part falls down while still having a rotational inertia and this can cause a lot of damage. There are some sort of rings that can be fitted to the underside of the car that won't let it fall down in these cases.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^are you talking about the driveshaft?? the cross pieces that connect the yokes are called u-joints
Old 11-25-2010, 04:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

as far as a part that is required for certain et ranges and roll overs, this part is a rollcage, to keep the driveshaft from coming through the floor they make driveshaft loops
Old 11-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Mike, you translate just great. Will suggest you be the Mustang Ambassador for Europe. Beyond that just think of the good will by actually being able to do what all you talk about. Very impressive. Bubba
Old 11-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Yep, drive-shaft, U joints, and drive-shaft loops! Thank you a lot!

I wish everyone used the same terms, the mechanics here usually use Latvian and Russian terms which are completely useless when you actually have to order the parts.

So the last question is, the metallic brake tubing, can you get them as a replacement and do they have a name, or should I just fabricate it via universal brake tubing and end nuts?

P.S. Are all bolts on this car metric or are there non-metric bolts too, especially concerning break line end nuts?
Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Bubba 95SN
Mike, you translate just great. Will suggest you be the Mustang Ambassador for Europe. Beyond that just think of the good will by actually being able to do what all you talk about. Very impressive. Bubba
lol...it took me a few minutes to figure it all out
Old 11-25-2010, 07:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Madman_DSM
Yep, drive-shaft, U joints, and drive-shaft loops! Thank you a lot!

I wish everyone used the same terms, the mechanics here usually use Latvian and Russian terms which are completely useless when you actually have to order the parts.

So the last question is, the metallic brake tubing, can you get them as a replacement and do they have a name, or should I just fabricate it via universal brake tubing and end nuts?

P.S. Are all bolts on this car metric or are there non-metric bolts too, especially concerning break line end nuts?
on the motor standard but on the car as a whole both iirc as for the brake line, just buy 3/16 line and make/bend your own, buy a brake line repair kit that has a double flair tool in it with a tubing cutter